WIN98SE IE6-SP1 upgrade screwup = dead laptop

sailor

Limp Gawd
Fujitsu LifeBook C-6140 laptop
Intel® Celeron 433MHz, 192MB RAM
WIN98SE

I am putting this is the OS forum because it is a problem with the OS although the underlying causes are more hardware related. If the mods think it fits better in another forum they can move it there.

I applied IE6 SP1 and now Windows will not start. I get a message saying SHLWAPI.DLL is missing and I need to reinstall the OS. I think the patch deleted the old DLL and did not then complete putting the new one in place. The first, obvious, step is to try copying the missing DLL from another computer which has the patch installed BUT the floppy drive on the laptop is not working.

Apparently the floppy drive will write correctly but when it reads it damages the disk. I have tried replacing the floppy drive but the problem persists so it seems the problem is with the motherboard or BIOS or whatever. I figure maybe the r/w signal is messed up and it writes when it should be reading. Any advice on this particular issue? I would like to get the floppy drive to work but if it is a motherboard issue then it may not be worth the effort.

Returning to the missing DLL problem now: the computer will start in DOS and I have access to the C: drive but not to the CD-ROM drive. I don't know how to execute the config.sys line "DEVICE=C:\CD=ROM\KMEATAPI.SYS /D:OEMCD001" and autoexec.bat line "MSCDEX /D:OEMCD001" so that the CD-ROM drive is accesible. From a floppy I could do it easily but they do not seem to work from the hard disk. If I could get the CDROM drive to work I could try copying the missing file on to a CD-ROM and reading it from there.

Another alternative would be to connect the two computers through their serial ports but I have not done this in ages and I do not know if I could get it to work. I seem to remember that the command "type shlwapi.dll >com1" will send the file to the serial port but I am not sure how to capture at the incoming side.

Another option would be to remove the hard disk from the laptop and use an adapter to connect it to a desktop as slave and then ai could copy the files. I could do this but I prefer other solutions because I am travelling and this would have to wait until I get home.

The laptop has Irda and USB but I do not believe these can be used in DOS. Of course, it would be great if I could plug my pendrive into the USB port and just copy the file from there.

So, what's your advice?

Boot to the ultimate boot CD, it'll load CD drivers. Access the Windows 98 Disk, extract file, profit.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Good luck.

edit: BTW, you should probably get a USB floppy to repalce the broken one, you can also use this for and desktop machines w/o floppies (or the next machine you build you don't need to buy an internal one).

Phoenix86 said:
Boot to the ultimate boot CD, it'll load CD drivers. Access the Windows 98 Disk, extract file, profit.
Thanks Phoenix86. I finally bit the bullet and reinstalled the OS which turned out to be not as painful as I expected. I continue to have the problem with the floppy drive though and have posted it at http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=837119

Any time and I'm glad it's working now. :)

I posted in the other thread about your floppy.

Back