Win98 to 2000 Professional

laneo

n00b
I have an old Dell (about 7 years old), Its got a 10gb hard drive, and 256MB RAM. I have a Windows 2000 Professional, and never used it (though it was free :p ) I was just wondering what the steps would be to upgrade. I know how to use "FDISK" and delete partitions and what not, but i know W2KP has that built in, when you install it, cause I have done it at school. So would I just have to do that, insert the disc and do a clean install?

If the PC supports booting from CD-ROM you'll be able to do it same way as with Windows XP. Boot from CD, delete the existing partition and create a new partition in the same drive space to get a clean environment, and then install Windows 2000 to it.

Hmmm, i dont know if it does. I'll have to try it out later. Now when i create a partition is there any recommended size I should make it? Im only asking because I have such a small HD.

I wouldn't cut up a 10 GB drive. I'd leave it as just one single partition.

well at first it didnt work, so i figured go through the BIOS and change the boot options. Set them to A:, Cd-Rom, then Hard drive. That got it working, so i guess the cd-rom support is a go. Now I'm just debating if i really want to lose 8 years worth of all the stuff i have on there. which isnt really anything. heh.

hmm, well i wouldnt say its important really. Its just weird to think in one second how something that was always there for eight years will totally be wiped out. lol. Maybe i think too much?

Back