Win8 & video driver updates

DeanEH

Weaksauce
When ever I change video drivers in Win8 my monitor screen goes blank when it finishes the install and I never know if it is actually finished installing the new drivers. I then have to restart my computer. When the computer reboots every thing is okay. I have a NVidia GTX 680. I was just wondering if any one else has had this happen. I never had this happen with Win7.

I always hear the "BEEBOOP" hardware removed / connected noise when it happens.

It should come back though, even if you somehow fail the install.

The strange thing is that is that I can see my mouse cursor and can move it around as if the desk top is visible. I have waited at times for two or three minutes and my screen never comes back until I restart. :(

Try pressing the WINDOWS button or CRTL+ESC, to switch from the blank desktop back to Metro screen, and then click Desktop to return.

yes.. mine goes black.. makes the ^ noise.. but returns.. odd that yours doesn't...

You may have to restart DWM (desktop windows manager) to get the desktop working properly again.

Code:
sc stop uxsms
sc start uxsms

Thanks for the replies. I decided to go back to Win7 64. At least in Win 7 my monitor screen stays on and doesn't go blank during games and when I install a new video driver I can see that the install completed. Don't get me wrong Win 8 is a good opeerating system but for now I'll stick with Win 7.:)

Which drivers are you installing, the newer 310 drivers have been hell for lots of people including myself, if so get the latest 306 drivers.

I get the black screen when installing nvidia drivers for my GTX 580 on Win 8, and have to press the restart button. Only happens on driver installs, so I'm not too put out, needs to be fixed though.

I too ran into the Windows 8 black screen problem. Four days ago my 7970 died on me after exactly 1 year so I bought a gtx 680. I uninstalled the AMD drivers rebooted and Windows 8 booted up fine with its own Nvidia 306.97 drivers from back in October. But when I installed the 310.90 drivers and rebooted again I had a black screen.

After a few minutes of searching, the fix for me was to boot into safe mode of Win8 which is not as easy as it should be. Uninstall the 310 drivers reboot to normal and let Win8 install its own 306.97 drivers again. Reboot again then install the 310 drivers and everything worked fine. What a pain in the neck.

I went back to win7, have not had any black screens during games or web browsing. Installed new drivers and did not have to re-boot to get back to my desk top. I still think Win8 is a good operating system but you should not have to go through restarts or black screens when playing games or web surfing.:)

I went back to win7, have not had any black screens during games or web browsing. Installed new drivers and did not have to re-boot to get back to my desk top. I still think Win8 is a good operating system but you should not have to go through restarts or black screens when playing games or web surfing.:)

I don't think Windows 8 is to blame. A lot of hardware manufacturers haven't exactly followed through too well with the driver releases. Sure, you see plenty of drivers available for Win8 to download but a lot aren't that good. I'm still waiting on a few to actually release new drivers in order to properly support new features in Win8 instead of 7 drivers that BSoD my system.

Back