[Win8] Reboot and select proper boot device

Hey everyone. Im having a little issue here. When i shut down the pc with out turning it off properly i get a black screen when i reboot that tells me "Reboot and select a proper boot device". The only way i can get back into windows is if i put in my Win8 cd and do a automatic repair. Any ideas why it does this?

Last edited:
Running dual boot?Does w8 have advanced system settings?

Last edited:
Running dual boot?Does w8 have advanced system settings?

No dual boot. Thats the odd thing. I can reboot no problems. As soon as i shut off by holding the power button i have to use windows 8 cd to do automatic repair just to get back into windows

What was on the hard drives before you installed windows and did you totally wipe the drive contents?

If you unplug the other two drives, does the problem still happen?

Hi, mystupidmouth,

I think ocellaris is right in his thinking. If you had any other drives connected when you installed the OS the MBR is probably on one of those drives. You probably have to restore the MBR to the OS drive.

Hope this helps.

Chuklr

If you have any IDE drives or SATA drives in IDE mode, the boot files will go to that drive first. I've gotten into the habit of disconnecting all drives except for my boot drive when I reinstall Windows

The other 2 don't have a OS on them. They were only ever used for Storage. I also don't have any IDE drives.

I was messing around a little more and it seems like if i just turn off the power to the computer via the switch on the PSU its no problem. But if i turn it off during the shutting down part via holding the power button i get the same corruption issue and have to put in the Win 8 cd.

1 last thing. When this happens i notice my BIO's can't even find my SSD till i do the Automatic Repair via Windows 8 Pro Cd.

Holding the power button down is not the correct way to shut it off. What happens when you select shutdown from the charms bar?

1 last thing. When this happens i notice my BIO's can't even find my SSD till i do the Automatic Repair via Windows 8 Pro Cd.

Hi, mystupidmouth,

Have you flashed the BIOS to the latest one? Have you flashed the SSD firmware to it's latest version?

BTW, which SSD do you have?

Chuklr

Holding the power button down is not the correct way to shut it off. What happens when you select shutdown from the charms bar?

Yeah i understand that. The only reason why i noticed this was because i installed a nvidia beta driver and had a black screen on boot up so i had to hold the power button to shut down.

Is this supposed to be normal when not shutting down the correct way?

Hi, mystupidmouth,

Have you flashed the BIOS to the latest one? Have you flashed the SSD firmware to it's latest version?

BTW, which SSD do you have?

Chuklr

Yep i have the latest Bios and i have a Crucial m4 128gb with the latest bios

Back