Win8 + dropbox + UAC off

vitalym

Limp Gawd
In Windows 8 the only way for the Dropbox context menus to appear is if I install it from the store, please correct me here if I'm wrong.

I dislike UAC and have disabled it in the registry so all programs start with admin access, I'm well aware of the risks here.

However disabling UAC also disables the metro store, thus disabling the metro version of Dropbox, thus disabling the context menus.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas how I can keep the context menus while leaving UAC disabled?

Why don't you just put UAC on the lowest setting without disabling it.

Why don't you just put UAC on the lowest setting without disabling it.

Putting it on the lowest setting just suppresses notifications, however software the requires admin rights doesn't launch as admin unless I right-click and run as admin

What exactly is the reason you 'dislike' UAC?

UAC should always be set to the max setting, privilige escalation is one of the most important security features in any modern OS. I even reccomend forcing it to require credentials from admin user accounts. You shouldn't need to provide admin priviliges very often. If you are you can probably do something differenty to avoid the need for privilige escalation.

Not the answer you want to hear, but debunking all the FUD about UAC is tiring and you didn't state why exactly its a problem for you. Unless you have a very specific software issue it should be on.

Putting it on the lowest setting just suppresses notifications, however software the requires admin rights doesn't launch as admin unless I right-click and run as admin

You can set an app to always run with admin priviliges if you right-click the shortcut or exe and look in the properties.

What software is causing the issue? I only need to give admin priviliges to a handful of older games.

I'm in the IT field so like I said, I'm well aware of the risks with running around with UAC disabled.

With UAC enabled, well the slider all the way down but the EnableLUA variable in the registry set to 1, any software under the startup folder that I set to run as administrator fails to run.

I have 2 programs under the startup folder, dropbox and audiostreamer. If I go to the shortcut properties, click advanced and select run as administrator they will not run upon reboot.

I don't care so much about dropbox but I want audiostreamer to run with admin rights so I can update it's music database when I put new songs in. It will not update if it's not running as admin.

Set UAC to full. After that, run audio streamer as a scheduled task with admin privileges, should work. It could work with the settings you have but I cannot be sure of that.

Is the administrator account enabled in security policy? It is disabled by default. Enable it and be sure to set a password on the account.

Set UAC to full. After that, run audio streamer as a scheduled task with admin privileges, should work. It could work with the settings you have but I cannot be sure of that.

I tried this and no go, the software does not run properly

Is the administrator account enabled in security policy? It is disabled by default. Enable it and be sure to set a password on the account.

I tried this and I'm getting the same results. If I set the software to run as admin under the shortcut settings it will not launch on its own.

I hate Win8 UAC oh so much lol

You must use Task Scheduler to launch applications with 'administrative' access on startup.

With UAC full on, I just setup an audio streamer scheduled task with highest privileges set at log on. I then ran it and it works fine. You may have to disable that registry edit you did and enable UAC to have it work.

OP, You could try turning UAC off in the registry, installing Dropbox, then turning it back on if you want it.

Dropbox can be installed as the Administrator for all users or for individual users.

debunking all the FUD about UAC is tiring
Almost as tiring as defending yourself when you mention you've disabled UAC. Some people are more than aware of the benefits of UAC but still choose to not use it because they don't like popups at any time.

Last edited:
With UAC full on, I just setup an audio streamer scheduled task with highest privileges set at log on. I then ran it and it works fine. You may have to disable that registry edit you did and enable UAC to have it work.

I did try this with the registry edit disabled but I had it on start up not log on, so I'll mess with this again.

OP, You could try turning UAC off in the registry, installing Dropbox, then turning it back on if you want it.

Dropbox can be installed as the Administrator for all users or for individual users.

Almost as tiring as defending yourself when you mention you've disabled UAC. Some people are more than aware of the benefits of UAC but still choose to not use it because they don't like popups at any time.

I tried installing Dropbox in a variety of ways running it as Admin and no go

Also +1 for your rant against his rant about leaving UAC enabled :)

So I was finally able to get it working with task scheduler.

The mistake I was making was setting it to run whether the user is logged on or not. Once I set it to run once the user is logged on it finally worked.

Still hate UAC...

Nope I lied. The software is started but doesn't load the web gui or anything. If I exit out and manually start it, all is well.

At the end of the day I'd like a hack/tweak/etc that will allow the metro store to operate with UAC disabled...guess it's back to googling

Back