Win7 vs XP information-wise

ShadowStriker

[H]ard|Gawd
I know that there are more features in Win7 than XP, but what about in terms of information gathering? In XP there's the Win32_Processor and regular registry stuff, which carries over into Win7, but what's new in Win7 that you could use for information gathering that wasn't in XP? i.e. New registry entries for stuff, new procs that can be used for better information gathering, etc.

What do you mean by information gathering? What kind of information are you wanting?

Well, right now I can pull USB names/UUIDs, patches/updates, installed programs, services, IP configurations/connections/routes (physical and logical), processor info, ram, cd drives, sound card and video controller data basic bios data (bios version, SMBios versions, bios characteristics, software name, configuration, OS language, last logged on user, Win Components installed, storage data, partitions, user accounts (local groups/users), etc etc.

Why use a third-party tool when I have one already written up that does the same thing? I don't need all those other things it comes with since the corporation I work for already has tools that do that.

It sounds to me like you're doing something with WMI. WMI itself hasn't really changed and you can extend that yourself to expose any information you're looking for -- you just have to write and compile the MOF file.

I think you're going about this the wrong way -- you usually have an idea of what you're looking for (what data you want to extract) and then find the WMI class/namespace that exposes that information. If you try to look at all the stuff that is exposed... it's going to be very intimidating becuase there is so much of it.

Well, I know what I'm looking for in terms of XP, but in Win7, I'm looking at the same things, but there are new things that I want to look at as well, but I don't know what those are.

Back