Win7/Vista Dual Boot Question

fantomau

2[H]4U
I installed Win7 on a 1tb hdd that I partitioned into 2 hdds.

I have vista on another drive and want to move vista to the 2nd partition, So I can have win7 and vista on same drive and hopefully dual boot.

Is there anything I can do to do this, So I dont have to re-install vista? I tried acronis trueimage, But wouldnt allow me to copy vista to the 2nd partition.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have never copied a Windows Install to a 2nd Part to dual boot. You might be able to install a 3rd party boot manager to get this done. I am not 100% sure if Windows 7 has the Recovery Console, but you could try using it to Scan for all bootable devices and it might allow you to boot to Vista.

The problem that you run across is this, Your Vista install has put vital boot files on what it thinks is C:\ or it's boot drive. I do not think you can move those files over to another Part and get it booting.

Unless your moving from a 32 to 64 bit OS, I would suggest scrapping Vista. Windows 7 is to Vista as Windows 98SE was to Windows 98. It is a minor release that did not include any major overhauls.

Back