Win7 - Users directory on another drive

the_b_man

Limp Gawd
I'd like to modify my Windows 7 install disc so it will put my Users directory on another drive. I was able to do this with XP by using nlite and would like to with 7 as well, perhaps with the WAIK as last I heard the *lite people weren't planning a Windows 7 release.

For example, C:\Windows but D:\Users

Yes, I know I could just use libraries to do something similar, but that's not my goal.

Anyone done anything like this yet? Thanks

Thanks EldestOne, that's very interesting and I may end up having to do that.
What I'm actually hoping, is to not have to change this post-install (although that may end up being easier). In XP there was an option for the location of "Documents and Settings" somewhere in the unattend stuff; I had a custom XP install disc that would use D: for this purpose.
I never had Vista, but I imagine vLite could do this as well, but I'm not comfortable using vLite on a Windows 7 disc as that's not what it was meant for. I downloaded the WAIK today and will delve in when I get some spare time.

Some people use that mklink to move temporary files created by games to ram drives to significantly increase load times/performance.

Wouldn't this be a waste of time? You couldn't use that disc on every PC, and in the time it will take you to figure it out and get a working disc...will take FAR longer than just moving them. I'm not going to enter into another debate about useless this is from a performance standpoint, because that's been proven and re-proven time and time again.

if you are doing it to save space on a small primary drive, then so be it, but it is a simple process once the OS is installed and running. This is also Windows 7, so it's not like you'll be reinstalling often anyway.

Back