win7 upgrade question

bocochoco

n00b
So I picked up a copy of home premium for 30 bucks being a student. I just noticed after paying that it is an upgrade copy. Will I be able to do a full fresh install using this? If not, is there a way to convert it from upgrade to full?

No and maybe

You need to have a 'qualifying' install in place for the upgrade key to be accepted. If you install without first having a qualifying install on the machine, then when you enter the install key it will be rejected as 'not valid'

You will need to contact the vendor or service which sold you the upgrade package and ask if they will allow you to return it unused and pay the extra money to obtain a full install package instead.

If you have a qualifying Windows version to install on the machine you intend to use Windows 7 Upgrade with you will be able to perform a 'custom clean' install for a fresh start. you don't actually have to upgrade install over that qualifying install. It just needs to be in place to allow the installer and install key to work together.

You cannot somehow 'hack' the disk to turn it into a full install disk because that won't work with an upgrade install key.

You used to be able to upgrade a "trial" (no key) install, but not anymore--you have to have an activated one. However if you have a qualifying install of a different Windows version, just image that before installing 7. Then, if you need to clean install 7 again, just restore the (activated) image and tell 7 to "Custom install" over that.

To my knowledge nobody has yet confirmed, in practice and with an actual upgrade install key, whether or not the qualifying install needs to be an activated one.

That may simply be assumption. Relevent documents on Microsoft website mention that the qualifying install needs to be a 'valid' one. That was also the wording used pre-Vista, when people erroneously assumed that the qualifying install would need to be activated.

If it does not need to be activated then the 'trial install' method would probably still work.

Wait and see, I guess. I won't be personally verifying it this time though, 'cause I can't be arsed buying upgrade packs.

:D

Would there be some modifications I could do to the files on an image of the disc to change it from an upgrade to a full copy?

Possibly, bocochoco. But it wouldn't do you any good, because the install key you have would be recognised as an upgrade key by the installer. You CAN'T change the installer!

Is it possible to upgrade from XP? Though I very much prefer a new install rather than an upgrade. Upgrading an OS seems like a horrible idea, as I found out while upgrading ubuntu some time ago.

Is it possible to upgrade from XP? Though I very much prefer a new install rather than an upgrade. Upgrading an OS seems like a horrible idea, as I found out while upgrading ubuntu some time ago.

AFAIK you wouldn't be upgrading XP even if you chose the "Upgrade" route. It'd create a Windows.old folder and throw everything in there and Win7 would be fresh.

Microsoft said the 'double upgrade' full install trick doesn't work with 7 but who knows.

Dang, good thing I didn't buy more than 1 copy of the win7 student offer, i thought it was a full install (they never let on that it isn't I don't think).

If and only if you don't need an "activated" install of the "qualifying operating system" to upgrade, it is possible (though I would not recommend it) to upgrade XP to Vista (no key) and then upgrade this Vista to 7. Presto. In theory, no lost data, but in practice this is very messy. I may be shot for mentioning it...

If you got it from digitalriver, they are saying it is the full version.

If you got it from digitalriver, they are saying it is the full version.

I seriously hope so because I'm getting my copy next week and want to have my new build up and running by the end of next week.

The $30 student offer is most definitely a license upgrade, not a full license for use without a qualifying OS version.

Back