Win7 SP1 causing my laptop to crash......why?

rjolin01

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently traded for a laptop on the forum. It already has windows 7 Home Premium installed, actually reinstalled, by original owner. i activated it by phone with no problems. Now when I try to intall SP1 it downloads good. Then when I rreboot it installs it, then upon starting back up on the starting windows screen when the little MS flag does its swirly it BSOD. It is to fast for me to see what it says. Upon restarting after that it goes to recovery mode and I must restore to previous version. i have had to do this a few times after attempting to install SP1. Can anyone help me with this issue?

try to do a slipstream of SP1 into windows 7?

or do a clean install, run windows update to get the updates up until it asks you to get SP1?

or install the OS, dont install any 3rd party drivers,then do sp1?

what is the laptop model?

Are you experienced with debugging a minidump? You should configure windows to create a dump file and then analyze the dump. If you need a hand with that, either post a link to the dump file or say so.

minidump? dumpfile? analyze? I dunno how to analyze my dump. (lol...analyze my dump) anywho I will look into this. thanks.

Impressive, this post includes lots of good advice.

My advice is to listen and follow their advice. :D

Don't use windows update for the sp, download the sp1 separately, then install it.

I don't know why but installing SP1 through WU produces a lot of problems. Using the stand alone installer on the other hands guarantees a successful install. :eek:

Last edited:
Back