Win7 RC coming in May

Thanks - pxc

"Watch the calendar. Windows 7 RC will expire on June 1, 2010. So if you install the RC release you’ll either need to upgrade to the final version of Windows 7 before that date, or install a prior version of Windows. (For more about installing Windows, see installation instructions."

June 210 to upgrade to final version; good news!!

Vista was RTM about a month after the final RC. Think we'll see 7 RTM in June then with an August retail?

Vista was RTM about a month after the final RC. Think we'll see 7 RTM in June then with an August retail?

Could be a little tight but I think that Microsoft would REALLY love to get Windows 7 out in time for the Back to School season as that's going to big this year with the economy. Seems like a lot of time to get this out the door but at the same time I'd rather it be right and tight than not.

Plus I just really, really, really want to upgrade! I just love 7 on my tablet, even without the multi-touch features and am waiting for the RC to put it on a separate drive on my main rig, as this RC should be production qaulity.

"Watch the calendar. Windows 7 RC will expire on June 1, 2010. So if you install the RC release you’ll either need to upgrade to the final version of Windows 7 before that date, or install a prior version of Windows. (For more about installing Windows, see installation instructions."

It's going to be a fun time when this happens. MS gave EVERYONE the OS for free. Even non-technical people were downloading and installing it as their primary OS. When it expires, there are going to be LOTS of pissed off people wondering why they have to shell out some coin to get their computer working again...

It's going to be a fun time when this happens. MS gave EVERYONE the OS for free. Even non-technical people were downloading and installing it as their primary OS. When it expires, there are going to be LOTS of pissed off people wondering why they have to shell out some coin to get their computer working again...

Huh? Microsoft has been doing free beats forever that expired after a time. The Windows 7 beta is no different.

? MS didn't say "free forever" they said test version, with expiration. And it does still say Beta everywhichwhere. If someone gets pissed because of their own ignorance, is that the fault of microsoft?

There's nothing special going on with respect to the dates of expiration for the betas and release candidates, it's all normal operation for Microsoft, they've been doing this for decades now. It's just that "beta" is more popular now because of more people being able to participate - the increasing availability and use of broadband connections as opposed to dialup makes it that much easier.

Imagine grabbing Beta 1 off dialup... say... 2.5GB at 5KB/s... roughly 20MB an hour... 6 days, give or take 12 hours. :)

Now, with higher speed available, it's easier to participate (aka leech) the betas so, obviously more people are all over it. But the date thing, nothing special there, they typically give the late stage beta/RC builds an 8-12 month period for further testing...

I have the public beta installed. I want to know if I will be able to do an in place upgrade? No one can know this for certain but have the leaked 70xx builds been able to upgrade previous 70xx builds?

Upgrades = horribly bad evil ideas, unless you have absolutely no other choice. And seriously, if you're using beta operating systems, you have a choice... do a clean install. :)

Upgrades = horribly bad evil ideas, unless you have absolutely no other choice. And seriously, if you're using beta operating systems, you have a choice... do a clean install. :)

A-fucking-men. I cringe when people use the word "upgrade", and immediately either assume they are misinformed or just stupid.

I wonder if in Win7 you can "upgrade" the upgrade like in Vista. anyone know?

Why would you want to do that to yourself?

Why would you want to do that to yourself?

I think he's referring to the method of using the upgrade version of the os to do a fresh install. I think you had to install it without the licence key and then run the upgrade and put the key in, or something like that.

Can a beta or RC of Windows 7 be upgraded to the final version when it's released? Or would I have to do a clean installation?

I think he's referring to the method of using the upgrade version of the os to do a fresh install. I think you had to install it without the licence key and then run the upgrade and put the key in, or something like that.

Ah.

I could really use a fresh install on my Visa :D Can't wait for RC to come out

I got a few Question,

1. Is this RC build like ALOT better than the Beta?
2. Will the Key we got from the Beta work on this Build to install it?
3. Say I forget to upgrade Win7 after the Deadline in 2010, is there a way to acces to my hard drive and get any thing I might need that is still there???

I am dying to try out Win 7 too...But I will wait until it is officially released as well..:(

I got a few Question,

1. Is this RC build like ALOT better than the Beta?
2. Will the Key we got from the Beta work on this Build to install it?
3. Say I forget to upgrade Win7 after the Deadline in 2010, is there a way to acces to my hard drive and get any thing I might need that is still there???

LOL

1. No idea, it's not out yet.
2. Yes.
3. Yeah, right. Just say "I want to milk this free OS until the last possible moment." If you haven't purchased a copy of Win7 by the expiration of the RC, get a Linux distro instead.

Back