Win7 knows my finger but i dont know my password

krupted

2[H]4U
its stupid, but when i got this laptop (tx2z) i was having trouble getting the fingerprint reader working. during the process, i changed the windows password to see if that would fix the problem. well, turns out i eventually did fix it- and it works great now.

problem is, i cant remember that temporary password i used. the finger reader still logs me in, so i can access my admin account just fine... but i cant add any more fingerprints or anything without knowing my actual password.

cliffs-
-i setup my finger reader, it works, but i forgot the actual windows password.
-im an idiot
-help

Go into computer management (right click computer -> management) and go to local users/groups -> then to users, find your user, right click, set password.

it is win7

thanks extide. it seems a little weird, i set it to look like this- apparently when i reboot the machine it will ask me for a new password. hopefully i wont have to enter my old one. wish me luck, if im not back in 5 minutes im throwing away the laptop (ok maybe not).

password2.png

edit sorry i wasnt right clicking. i reset the password, what a cool trick that i never knew about... im guessing this was implemented in vista? i remember XP wasnt even really encrypted.... it was like a sam file you deleted and that was it.

im starting to think ill actually use the digital persona software to login to less-important sites like forums and storefronts. ill leave my bank account and other bills locked with keepass, but this finger swiping stuff is way cooler then i thought it would be.

That's been around since at least win2k, prolly since old NT :)

to change the auto-login credentials go to start -> run and type 'control userpasswords2' (no quotes)

That's been around since at least win2k, prolly since old NT :)

damn... windows is so much more then even tech savvy people see, i cant believe i never knew about this but then again, i never used windows passwords before i got this fingerprint reader.

it works all based on your windows password, so because i want to swipe my finger for stuff i have to set a windows login. i made it ************************ that long, so im safe i think. i even set the finger sensitivity to maximum, and it still works fine on any one of my 4 fingers that are enabled.

it'll be nice to leave auto-login disabled for all my websites now, and just flick my thumb to access them. i thought this stuff was a gimmick, but its actually pretty robust.....

I really wouldn't rely on the finger reader alone. In fact I wouldn't bother using it at all. It's not very secure (much less so than a good password), and there are lots of ways you can lock yourself out of the system if you get in the habit of not using (and forgetting) the 'backup' passwords. It's even worse on laptops that have a TPM chip and do the finger reading at the BIOS.

Back