Win7 Home Premium to Win7 Pro assistance

ToddW2

2[H]4U
Apparently I need Win7 Pro to setup remote desktop server... doh, would have just spent the extra $40 when I built the darn thing had I known.

Instead of spending $80 on the anytime update can I buy a new copy of win7 pro for $140 from newegg, swap the key to enable pro, and use my win7 home premium on another system :confused:

In theory it sounds 100% "legal", and doable but MS probably makes that a major pain in the booty.

I'd rather spend the extra 50 bucks and have win7 on 2 systems than spend 80 and just over-price update this thing.

Apparently I need Win7 Pro to setup remote desktop server... doh, would have just spent the extra $40 when I built the darn thing had I known.

Instead of spending $80 on the anytime update can I buy a new copy of win7 pro for $140 from newegg, swap the key to enable pro, and use my win7 home premium on another system :confused:

In theory it sounds 100% "legal", and doable but MS probably makes that a major pain in the booty.

I'd rather spend the extra 50 bucks and have win7 on 2 systems than spend 80 and just over-price update this thing.

Let me just get this straight. You have Windows 7 Home Premium, but you wanted Windows 7 Professional.

If you just want to buy another of copy of windows 7 (professional in this case) then I don't see what's the problem. :confused:

Let me just get this straight. You have Windows 7 Home Premium, but you wanted Windows 7 Professional.

If you just want to buy another of copy of windows 7 (professional in this case) then I don't see what's the problem. :confused:

LOL. I wanted to convert my install to win7 pro from the new version, and be able to use home premium on another system since I'd own 2 licenses. I however doubt MS will let me just swap keys and magical 7pro appears like it does from the update.

Oh-Well, I don't want the headache of re-installing so I just went with the update and lost like $35.

How long ago did you install the Home Premium version? After a few months of activation, you'll be able to reactivate it on new hardware without issue. If you have recently bought it and activated it,then try to activate again on new hardware, you'll likely lock that key out and will have to call MS. I'd say grab the Pro and just hold off on installing the other version for a while if it's newer.

Yes, it will be fine even for the OEM disc your looking at.

Swapping keys will not just change the version, an installation will be required (obviously, duh). Your best bet is to do a clean installation of the Pro version on the machine you're talking about, and just install the Home Premium version cleanly on the secondary machine as well.

Might be able to get away with this but it won't be considered an "Anytime Upgrade" most likely.

supposedly, you can do an anytime upgrade with a full retail key, unless the key is from MSDNAA.

Anytime Upgrade with retail key:
In Windows 7 Home Premium, type Anytime Upgrade in the Search programs and files box in the Start menu and click on the Windows Anytime Upgrade icon. From there, you can enter your retail Windows 7 Professional/Ultimate product key and perform a simple upgrade. All programs and files will stay on the computer, no disk is needed and it takes about 10 minutes.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7install/thread/12ee697d-6506-4ed3-afda-ba6b8102ac61

Swapping keys will not just change the version, an installation will be required (obviously, duh). Your best bet is to do a clean installation of the Pro version on the machine you're talking about, and just install the Home Premium version cleanly on the secondary machine as well.

Might be able to get away with this but it won't be considered an "Anytime Upgrade" most likely.

I've never tried it, but I don't see why he couldn't change the key and have the features. All the files required for 7 Ultimate are installed with Home Premium.

I've never tried it, but I don't see why he couldn't change the key and have the features. All the files required for 7 Ultimate are installed with Home Premium.

it sounds like the OP wanted to just "swap" keys on the existing install. Not a re-install. Which won't work.
Except for the Windows Anytime Upgrade which sounds like it should

it sounds like the OP wanted to just "swap" keys on the existing install. Not a re-install. Which won't work.
Except for the Windows Anytime Upgrade which sounds like it should

I understand what you're saying. But I'm not sure why it wouldn't work. Registry settings aside, the same software is installed for all 7 installs.

I guess someone has already tried doing it. I guess if I really wanted to, I could take an image, install home premium.....then change my key to a pro, enterprise or ultimate key and see what happens....but that's far too much work ;)

Back