Win7 freezing after sleep and at "Welcome" after restart

teiresias

Limp Gawd
Hey all, so here's my dilemna. I attempted to overclock my GTX460 a week or two ago and had OCCT while I was in the kitchen cooking. After dinner I came back in and the monitor was blank, but the computer was still on, but wouldn't wake up or anything, so I had to hard reset it. No problem, I figured, the OC just wasn't stable, so I rebooted and tried again but never found any OC where the card wouldn't cause a system lockup.

In any case, ever since that initial incident I've been suffering from the issues in the topic title even with the card running at stock speeds now. I would initially think something went on with the card, but when the computer functions it works completely fine and I can game with the card and everything.

To be clear, frequently (but not always) the computer will completely freeze a minute or two after coming out of sleep (hybrid or not, doesn't matter). It will also freeze after a restart immediately after I log-in and it brings up the Welcome screen before it loads the desktop. In the case of the latter I have to reboot into Safe Mode before I can get it to log-in again (clearing some offending driver?), otherwise every restart it will freeze at the Welcome screen. The PC is stable otherwise.

Googling both issues these seem somewhat common, though no real solution has jumped out at me, and almost known of the discussion seems centered on the videocard. I certainly see no evidence of a failing card otherwise. I've re-installed the Nvidia drivers and the only thing I can think to do now is a clean install of Win7 (not a huge deal for me) to see if that clears it up. After that, I was considering SLI-ing anyway, so I was thinking of buying a second 460 to swap out for my current one to see if a new card eliminates the issue and possibly RMA this one if that's the case.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Back