Win7 BSOD on boot, crashes at AVGIDSxx.sys, CLASSPNP.sys

wongnog

n00b
I just upgraded my system from an old Q6600 to i7-2600K, replacing motherboard, CPU, CPU cooler, and RAM, and now my Windows 7 system won't boot. I get a BSOD after the Windows logo, general error message that says STOP: 0x0000007B. I then tried to boot into safe mode but it crashes loading AVGIDSxx.sys. Did some googling and found this seems to be a problem with AVG anti-virus, so I loaded my Windows 7 CD and tried to repair my Windows. That didn't work, so in recovery console I went to command prompt and renamed all files AVG*.sys files to AVG*.sys.old in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers as recommended on another forum. Upon rebooting, I still got a BSOD so tried again to go to safe mode and found now it is crashing at CLASSPNP.SYS. I tried to google that error but there seems to be many possible causes for that.

I've tried a bunch of different things, repair windows install from Win 7 CD several times, I also tried to repair/fix the MBR but I forget which command I used for that. I'm now running chkdsk /x on all partitions from the recovery console command prompt.

A bit more googling suggests both these system files causing crashing may be due to a virus or trojan. Any ideas?

hmmm that's actually not the same STOP message I'm getting. My exact BSOD is:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDKS /F to check for hard drive corruption, and tehn restart your computer.

STOP: 0x0000007B (0XFFFFF880009A98E8, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

Other suggestions I've read are I may have the TDSS virus. Also that I should run a clean install of Windows 7 after any major hardware upgrade as this. But I think that's BS, I've never done a clean install after upgrading my CPU and mobo!

Run CCleaner TDSSKiller and ComboFix then wrap it up with malwarebytes. Finally run ccleaner again and voila.

If whatever you have survives that then you need better advice than I have :)

This is of course if your problem is from a rootkit.

Also, if the BSOD just "appeared out of the blue" then run memtest as bad ram can cause all kinds of weird issues. Doesn't hurt to test your HD too.

Last edited:
Run CCleaner TDSSKiller and ComboFix then wrap it up with malwarebytes. Finally run ccleaner again and voila.

If whatever you have survives that then you need better advice than I have :)

This is of course if your problem is from a rootkit.

Also, if the BSOD just "appeared out of the blue" then run memtest as bad ram can cause all kinds of weird issues. Doesn't hurt to test your HD too.
The problems just happened after I upgraded my CPU, mobo, and RAM. If it's a RAM problem I guess I could remove one stick and try that, I also think my new ASUS P8P67 Deluxe mobo has some EFI BIOS memtest feature. I can't actually boot into Windows 7 anymore to run any of those tools, but I could try hooking my old components back to see if I can boot into windows and try those cleaners.

If thats the case have you tried to use a W7 disk and do a file system repair or anything?

Back