Win7 breaks XP Dual Boot

dokument

n00b
I can not get windows 7 ultimate x64 and xp pro to dual boot for the life of me.

I had xp installed on a 100gb partition on my laptop (hp dv6000) with a 320gb drive.

I installed windows 7 on a new 100gb partition and downloaded drivers, robooted and started changing the appearance. well after another reboot it got stuck at the starting windows screen.

so i held the power button until it rebooted then selected repair startup and it froze at loading windows files

then i tried to boot into xp and it bsod'd really quick before rebooting, then i tried safe mode x3 and last known good configuration all with the same bsod. (right after mup.sys on safemode)

soo... i took the hdd out and got my files off of the xp partition then reinstalled xp (on same 100gb partiton) fine then before i started changing anything i installed windows 7 on the second 100gb partiton.

first reboot and it broke again. same results

so i formatted the drive and put windows 7 on the first partition and xp on the second.. same thing again.

what should i try next?

XP Mode? VirtualPC? VirtualBox?

Seriously, I don't know why anyone would want to, or need to dual boot XP anymore. That being said, your last step isn't going to work, because the older OS needs to be installed first. The only other thing I'd try to is to start with a blank, unformatted drive. When you install XP, only create the 100 GB partition. When you boot to the Windows 7 DVD, only create the system volume for Windows 7.

After all this frustrattion, if it were me, I would have given up on XP and just virtualized it. Native performance without the hassles of a multi-boot setup? Check.

yeah i actually installed xp first just on a second partition. now i am trying to install win7 first. and i did not notice it make the 100mb partition before so i believe it used the xp partition for that thereby breaking everything. ill let you know how it goes.

i dont have a reason to dualboot anymore. i just had all my stuff the way i wanted it on the xp install... had.

Yeh theres no need for a dual boot unless your using win7 home prem which doesnt have the "XP mode, virtual machine" add-on;)

Being that I haven't tested this myself, is it possible that you are using an upgrade version of 7 and while it is doing a full install to your designated partition it is corrupting the XP install?

Always amusing when people know what other people have no use for.

It is possible to dual boot XP and Windows 7 on two hard drives, and installing in any order. Check out Easy BCD (I think that's the name) and it should help you fix the issue. I've done it on a few machines.

BTW, XP mode is 32 bit..

Always amusing when people know what other people have no use for.
Almost as amusing as people who try posting a witty slam, instead of spending that energy determining if that person might actually be right. Spend some time reading these threads and you'll spot some trends and patterns:

1. Most people who dual boot don't understand what VMs are or how easy they are to set up.
2. Most people who dual boot can achieve the same functionality with a VM.
3. The rest didn't know VM software was free or existed.

Almost as amusing as people who try posting a witty slam, instead of spending that energy determining if that person might actually be right. Spend some time reading these threads and you'll spot some trends and patterns:

1. Most people who dual boot don't understand what VMs are or how easy they are to set up.
2. Most people who dual boot can achieve the same functionality with a VM.
3. The rest didn't know VM software was free or existed.

Except, OP gave zero information on what he was going to use XP for, so one couldn't possible have enough information to say things like "Yeh theres no need for a dual boot unless your using win7 home prem which doesnt have the "XP mode, virtual machine" add-on".

VMs are good, and I agree that people don't understand their usage, but there are still many reasons to choose dual booting over VMs.

If the OP intends to run older Direct3D or OpenGL games in XP that simply don't work in 7, neither a VM nor XP Mode (another VM) are going to do him much good.

I actually didn't say that (the line you put in quotation marks). I gave more of a blanket statement, saying there's little to no need to dual boot anymore at all. What would be a reason to not virtualize right now and go for a more complicated multi-boot system?

If the OP intends to run older Direct3D or OpenGL games in XP that simply don't work in 7, neither a VM nor XP Mode (another VM) are going to do him much good.
VMWare has support for 3D graphics, and even Aero now. VirtualBox does as well, albeit not as refined as VMware's implementation...but it is improving with each build.

Are you now able to enumerate the GPU directly (i.e. install specific drivers) or is it still basic enumeration?

I believe with VMWare it is direct access to the card. I'm not sure about VirtualBox.

Personally i dual boot with XP because i like to have a working OS in the event my main OS gets a massive virus infection or gets corrupted in some other way. Always good to have a backup OS i can use until i have time to troubleshoot. Besides its easier to run malware/virus scans from an uninfected OS. Not that i had to use XP for months but it felt good to know it was there.

Sadly i have the same problem as the OP. After deleting W7 RC and installing W7 Home premium, XP will no longer boot. Its there on the boot menu, but selecting it causes a reboot. EasyBCD hasn't helped either. :(

I actually didn't say that (the line you put in quotation marks). I gave more of a blanket statement, saying there's little to no need to dual boot anymore at all. What would be a reason to not virtualize right now and go for a more complicated multi-boot system?

Has virtualzation really gotten good enough in recent years to use it for 3D gaming? Over the years I've tried various virtualzation programs for gaming and have had pathetic results. I've love to know how to do it properly.

Except, OP gave zero information on what he was going to use XP for, so one couldn't possible have enough information to say things like "Yeh theres no need for a dual boot unless your using win7 home prem which doesnt have the "XP mode, virtual machine" add-on".

VMs are good, and I agree that people don't understand their usage, but there are still many reasons to choose dual booting over VMs.

Thank you, it was mainly because i had XP setup the way i needed it to be for work (very strict security standards) and we haven't setup support for win7 yet.

It was the win7 install corrupting xp because i didn't give it the 100mb system partition it needed. It's always the simple stuff.

Thanks Again!

Back