• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Win7 and DVD rippers

6

69Rixter

Guest
Evening and Holiday Wishes:

For some time now, I've been trying to find a GOOD, open source DVD ripper compatible w/ Win7. I've tried many (WinX, VLC, Amerisoft, etc.) and have not had satisfactory results. I did like Amerisoft except for the watermark. So many DVD ripping programs will not work well with Win7 and many only allow 1 rip, or even partial rip to entice to you to purchase their program...at exceptionally inflated costs. Thus, I said "OPEN-SOURCE". I've watched far too many youtube videos on how to do this/that and again, little if any effective results. I'm sure someone here has a good DVD ripper program and has it working on a Win7. Would like to hear from you. Believe me, I've tried so many rippers before I came here and just not getting the results I feel I should. Perhaps I should say that I used to use AcidRip (Linux) and didn't have any problems, but then, I had a laptop running Linux 17 back then. Now, I'm forced to use Win7 and I cannot get a good DVD ripper. Any ideas?
THANX:
RICK
 
Most people are using makemkv and handbrake. I know not OSS but it's hard to come by for windows.
 
open source is not the same as free though you can get free closed source software

for many yea i used dvshrink to rip + handbrake for video encoding + azid + Qaacc for audio encoding + subrip for sub text OCR'ing and yamb for mucxing and demuxing
however dvdshrink chokes on a lot of newer releases. and i changed to magic dvd rip whcih gives you 5 opening of the programs as a trial.... just never close it :D

you dont need all the above software i use, im just obseessed with doing maximum effort into it :)
 
MakeMKV would be the recommendation I'd make immediately and without any hesitation, it just works. It's not that tough to figure out, it can and does rip the entire DVD structure and places it into a single MKV file so that means you get the "the DVD" in a single playable file if you want with all the extras, subs, audio tracks, etc, and of course once you have that you're free to feed that to HandBrake or some other transcoder if so desired.

MakeMKV is basically in "permanent beta" and has a new version released every so often - it technically has a time limit on it but that is usually addressed by just installing a newer version whenever they're released. It can and will do exactly what the OP is asking to be done, and a lot more once the ins and outs of the program are learned and it's very capable compared to most anything else out there.

As for "open source" well, good luck with that.
 
I use DVD Decrytper to rip the disc and Handbrake to encode the files.
Both worked great in Win7

dvd-ripping-encoding.jpg
 
The only issue with DVD Decrypter (and I do love that app, used it for many years) is that because of it's age and it long since being abandoned it can't handle newer protection schemes on some DVDs (usually the most popular ones from the largest movie and TV studios) so it'll fail on those - even though it might actually finish the rip the actual ripped material will have issues with playback, the typical distorted frames and audio sync issues, etc.

One reason that MakeMKV is in permanent beta is because when they do issue updates they add the newer protection schemes for both DVD and Blu-ray media as part of their revision updates.

I used DVD Decrypter and DVDShrink for many years and made backups of hundreds of my retail DVDs using that 1-2 combination, always happy with the results but on occasion with some particular disc the rip just failed because of the newer protection schemes. Kinda wish both of them had been continually updated over the years but I suppose since MakeMKV appeared that's been something I just don't worry about anymore. I used AnyDVD HD for a while but after that bullshit last year when the developers scrapped it then started up a new company with the same damned software aka RedFox and started trying to rip lifetime subscribers off by charging them all over again I gave up on that shit entirely.
 
Back
Top