Win7 AHCI F6-drivers needed?

Spankbot-5000

Weaksauce
Just curious if anyone can tell me if I'll need to install some sort of F6 driver when installing Win7 when the SATA boot drive is set to AHCI? I've never installed any versions of 7 yet, but I'm compiling drivers a for a new build and I remember my last build needing an F6 driver when installing XP with SATA AHCI drives.

Speaking of AHCI, will I need to install the Matrix Storage Manager if I just want the drive in AHCI mode, no RAID intended?

Win7 and Vista don't need an F6 driver for intel chipsets, built-in support.

I can't remember on matrix storage manager. I would run it, won't hurt. I can't remember if it throws up an error telling you that you don't have a compatible chipset, or if it installs the latest Intel controller drivers.

You don't need drivers for the install and they work in ahci mode without needing the storage manager.

Thanks for the info guys! I remember it being such a pain in the ass last time, I was all ready to install XP and then I read about the F6 driver needed for the then-new AHCI options. Took me a while to dig up an old floppy drive, something I had hoped to have finally gotten rid of.

Back