Win7 activation fail

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by urbsnspices, Feb 11, 2014.

1. urbsnspices

urbsnspices [H]ard|Gawd

Just did a fresh install of windows7pro from sealed packaging. I had both discs but only used the 64bit. Product key rejected. Any reason to try anything or, should I just assumed I got ripped off.

This was a purchase from 3 years ago that patiently sat on the shelf waiting to bone me.

2. Ins0mnyteq

Ins0mnyteq Gawd

probably just use the phone option, its possible that your key has been used as well though. If you have the COA, you can get it activated.

3. GlowingGhoul

GlowingGhoul Whines about Whiners

If, as your title says, activation failed using the internet method, just choose "activate by phone".

I've had to use phone activation many times and never been denied (it's an automated system).

4. ButchCassidy

ButchCassidy Limp Gawd

Did it give you an error? Are you using an upgrade key? If it's an upgrade a few tweaks will get you activated. If that fails you can use the phone method like others have said.

5. urbsnspices

urbsnspices [H]ard|Gawd

I have the product key sticker. This was a fresh install not an upgrade. It gave me an error, something about the MS license server blocking this key. I will get the specific error code.

I have never activated by phone, I will give that a shot.

This is for a budget HTPC build. If this key has already been activated, I have to decided if I stick with Win7 or go in another direction.

6. munkle

munkle [H]ardForum Junkie

is the copy an oem copy, retail, or upgrade?

7. Czech99

Czech99 [H]Lite

ive had this happen. do the phone option and use the automated system. it will then activate

8. urbsnspices

urbsnspices [H]ard|Gawd

As far as I can tell this was a full retail copy. Shrink wrapped, big plastic box, 32 and 64 bit dvd discs, perforated seal on plastic box, with Key code sticker on the inside of the box sleeve.

Any one can shrink wrap anything, but because that was intact I know that _I_ never installed it. I didnt pay super attention to the seal on the plastic box.

Pretty sure I would have noticed the word upgrade on the box/disc/key, but I will double check, man that would be dumb....:rolleyes:

9. Ins0mnyteq

Ins0mnyteq Gawd

if you have the sticker there is a code that MS can use to validate the COA

10. urbsnspices

urbsnspices [H]ard|Gawd

Tried the phone option 2x, in case I mistytped. No luck. It directs me to the MS website.

11. bigdogchris

bigdogchris [H]ard as it Gets

Do you have a box like this? Notice the packaging says upgrade in the upper left corner.

But yeah, if it's an upgrade key, you can't use it during a clean installation without doing the workarounds.

12. TypeO

TypeO [H]ardness Supreme

I've had windows activation fail on both auto and phone activation all being legit. At some point during that menu, I was able to speak to someone and have never been denied. Mine were legit and I have no idea why they failed.