win7 64bit vs 32... double checking

NathanP2007

[H]ard|Gawd
I have built a new PC. I will be using the computer for gaming, all the big titles you hear about il be buying for my computer..like Modern warfare 2, sims 3...etc A long with all the other typical computer use stuff(ipod, external harddrive, pda sync etc) ...is 64 bit the way to go now? Sometimes i hear some negatives and to just stick with 32...other times i hear there are no differences except good ones, like having more than 4gigs of ram as a option.
What are the setbacks/negatives of 64bit if there are any? I know this is noobish and i have heard from a bit already on [H]forum...but i want to hear the full discussion before i go and install either one.

Thanks guys!

There's really no reason not to go with a 64 bit system these days. The only real setback is the possible incompatibility of really old hardware. But it would have to be some ancient, obscure piece of hardware.

Negative of 32bit is 4GB address space total.
This makes 64bit the only viable option if you are running out of memory.

For example, from a gamers perspective, anyone use a single 2GB gfx card or Crossfire/SLI with 1GB or 2GB cards wont have a lot of memory left.
Not all the space required for the cards is taken from system address space as paging is used, but we have been knocking on the 4GB limit for some time now.

An issue I have with the 64bit version is god awful support for security apps like Peer Guardian 2, requiring the shutdown of some of the OS's protection and even then the OS still causes problems.
This applies to Vista 64 as well.
While the OS is more secure in some ways, problems like this mean its harder to implement other forms of very good security.
MS should have included a signed IP blocker in the OS.
mho

The only downside to a 64bit OS is vendor support. I'm not talking about drivers as driver support is pretty good these days. I'm talking about software houses who won't help you with problems once they find out you're running vista 64.

You shouldn't have any problems that a 32bit OS wouldn't have, but for some reason they fear the 64!

The only downside to a 64bit OS is vendor support. I'm not talking about drivers as driver support is pretty good these days. I'm talking about software houses who won't help you with problems once they find out you're running vista 64.

You shouldn't have any problems that a 32bit OS wouldn't have, but for some reason they fear the 64!

I think you need to elaborate on this, this seems like complete BS to me...
(Not trying to be insulting, just back that up please).

Good point. Youre more likely to find hardware supporting 64 bit os than business level software that supports 64 bit. A lot of places are ignoring the future and waiting to the last minute to support 64 bit.

if you are a home user there is no reason not to go 64 bit unless your using 1GB of ram.

K sounds like il go with 64bit, tho i had win 7 32 bit already burned on a dvd haha...so il have 32 and 64 now..oh well.
Is it gonna be super simple like i turn on my pc for the first time, put in the DVD and it will auto load the install window? Or are their some things i might have to do? just curious

Back