Win7 64 upgrade fail - Help!

rcat1

Limp Gawd
Tried to upgrade my OEM Vista64 last night. Was going along fine, system had rebooted twice. Progress bar was at 75%, said it was transferring device and program settings. Got error message that states upgrade can not be installed. System reboots and Win7 rollback restored Vista install. WTF!
I have most recent windows updates. Updated and disabled AVG before upgrade. Rig in sig, any help would be appreciated. Thought this would be painless. Would really like to avoid the format route, but if no other option...

Do a clean install, you'll save more time in the end.

I tried a Vista 64 Business to 7 Pro (both x64) upgrade and it didn't turn out well at all.

I too really wanted to upgrade, especially on a vista 64 oem machine that is over 130 GB....but, I'm going w/ clean installs, then reinstall programs........it's time to clean house.

Got the upgrade to install last night. Had to unplug the printer and stop the
printer app from running in the background. Took about two hours to complete. Not a great start for Win7 in my opinion.

Not a great start for Win7 in my opinion.

Every version of Windows has upgrade issues. In fact, EVERY version i have used going back to Windows 3.1 has never upgraded well.

That is why almost everyone almost always suggests a clean install.

Back