Win2K3 Group Policy - where does the languages come from?

drizzt81

[H]F Junkie
Hi guys,

recently I had some problems with my laptop not getting a roaming profile anymore, so I was considering to take a look into the group policy. Upon opening a (any group policy object) group policy I get this:

werid_stuff.GIF

[Picture taken on the Domain Controller, Windows 2003 SP1]

Which shows that there are 4-5 different entries for "Error Reporting" in different languages. I have searched all over for this problem, but couldn't come up with a solution. The one hint I found was on http://labmice.techtarget.com/activedirectory/grpolicy.htm with a link to a KB article, which may not apply, since it is about windows 2000, not 2003. Additionally, the KB appears to be down 'at the moment' :(

more info:
-I have the policy setting "Use local .adm files" enabled
-I have the policy setting "Turn off automatic updating of .adm files" enabled

While I was trying to fix it, I noticed that my dialog boxes were in a foreign language too, which I remedied by renaming %windir%\system32\MFC42LOC.DLL

This is what I have done/ tried to do already (without success):

-copied a reference system.adm file into the %windir%\inf folder
-set the .adm Path for the GPMC to a directory containing reference .adms downloaded from Microsoft.
-restored an older GP object, but still saw the weird entries
-searched through the registry for "fehler" which it did come up with, but not at meaningful places
-searched through %windir%\inf for "fehler" where it came up with some error messages in .aspx files
-renamed the %windir%\system32\MFC42LOC.DLL to %windir%\system32\MFC42LOC.DLL.disabled
-I have _NOT_ restarted at this point

I would appreciate any/ all help.

Is it only the laptop policy? And is that picture from the DC or your laptop?

jonw757 said:
Is it only the laptop policy? And is that picture from the DC or your laptop?
The pic shown was done on my Domain Controller. The Picture is of the policy that is applied to the Laptop, but would be the same with all other policies, including Domain Controller Policy etc.

Maybe someone can suggest a forum where I may have a better chance to find someone with an answer to this?

Perhaps the microsoft forums that they have on their website.

The text for the various containters and what not come from the administrative templates. The default ones are kept in C:\WINDOWS\inf. Any .adm templates used will be stored inside of the group policy. So, if you add a custom .adm to a GPO from PC1, it can be edited and view from PC2 (or any other PC). It looks like this is what's happening. You are loading the .adm from the GPO and not your local machine. I would create a new GPO to see if you have the same problem.

MorfiusX said:
The text for the various containters and what not come from the administrative templates. The default ones are kept in C:\WINDOWS\inf. Any .adm templates used will be stored inside of the group policy. So, if you add a custom .adm to a GPO from PC1, it can be edited and view from PC2 (or any other PC). It looks like this is what's happening. You are loading the .adm from the GPO and not your local machine. I would create a new GPO to see if you have the same problem.
I have created a new one and it still had the weird behavior. In order to avoid ".adm confusion" I have activated the "use local .adm files" option. Unfortunately, even after replacing the local .adm files with the ones that MS has available for download, I still get the weird behaviror.

Mak said:
Perhaps the microsoft forums that they have on their website.
excellent idea, thanks :)

EDIT: I found the mistake, there are a bunch of files in c:\windows\inf called:
Code:
AER_XXXX.ADM
where XXXX is a 4 digit number. These seem to be foreign language .adm files.

Thanks for all the help, problem solved.

Back