win2k3 active directory

aderuwe

Limp Gawd
I have a server that has quite a few users with quite a few folders on a seperate drive. The folders are user folders and have the permissions and disk quotas setup perfectly. I need to format the computer but I really don't want to go through and add all the users, setup the permissions and disk quotas again. Anyone know how to backup it all up?

Thanks, Adam

Get Ghost, make an image of the drive, reformat it, decompress the image back over the drive.

That doesn't serve the purpose of a format. :rolleyes: Most of the time when you format there is a reason, such as registry corruptions, etc. By making a ghost, i'll be accomplishing nothing. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Adam

I am in the same boat. I have an format on the way. I will say that file permissions are saved if you pull them from a backup as long as the same user accouts exist. If your users are managed on a seperate AD server you should have no problems. If this is the AD server, then I would suggest you promote some other server, format the first and then promote it back up to PDC once you have it back up and running again.

Originally posted by deuce868
I am in the same boat. I have an format on the way. I will say that file permissions are saved if you pull them from a backup as long as the same user accouts exist. If your users are managed on a seperate AD server you should have no problems. If this is the AD server, then I would suggest you promote some other server, format the first and then promote it back up to PDC once you have it back up and running again.

In AD there are no PDC/BDC servers, technically. They are all equal DCs it is just some are more equal than others. ;)

The Backup built into Windows has an option to SAVE all Security settings on folders/shares. I formatted our entire company's Profile Server which had the personal setting sof 200 people and when I restored them it worked almost flawlessly, and that was with win2k. I would think 2003 might do it even better.

If your server is a member server, simply format the system drive, reinstall, and join it back to AD.

If the server is a domain controller, make sure you set another DC as the Global Catalog and Infrastructure server, then I would use dcpromo to demote the server to a member server. At that point, I would format, reinstall, then dcpromo to bring it back up as a DC.

Originally posted by Wolf31o2
If your server is a member server, simply format the system drive, reinstall, and join it back to AD.

If the server is a domain controller, make sure you set another DC as the Global Catalog and Infrastructure server, then I would use dcpromo to demote the server to a member server. At that point, I would format, reinstall, then dcpromo to bring it back up as a DC.

That won't do anything for NTFS permissions and all the data stored locally on the server, unless its DFS.

Originally posted by oakfan52
That won't do anything for NTFS permissions and all the data stored locally on the server, unless its DFS.

That's what the SYSTEM BACKUP console is for. It retains all NTFS Security Settings on each directory.

Back