Win2k Pro Internet Prob

FatteyMattey

Limp Gawd
My brother's computer's Internet wont work. In the Network Connections folder I went to Local Area Connection and checked it's Status. Some packets are being sent and very little if any at all packets are being recieved.

I have a router connected to the cable modem. From the router I have a computer, and then a switch with two computers on it. My computer is on the switch and running WinXP. My brother's is on the switch but running Win2k.

I have the Internet running fine, but he cant get his to work. Any suggestions?

Is his network set to get its IP configuration via DHCP? check that and make sure he is getting an address on the network.

Start - Settings - Network and Dial Up Connections - Local Area Connection - Right Click - Properties - Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) - Properties.

If it's DHCP it will be set to Obtain an IP Address automatically.

Then do Start - Run - CMD - IPCONFIG /all to see if he is obtaining an IP Address.

You can run Start - Run - CMD - Ping 127.0.0.1 to see if his TCP/IP is working correctly. You should get a response similar to:

C:\>ping 127.0.0.1

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

If not, his TCP/IP stack is probably fux0red.

Check his link lights to see if there is any activity. If not, try changing the cable from the switch to the NIC, updating the drivers, or changing the port he is connected to on the switch. Lastly, if you are running any sort of firewall on his machine, check to make sure it is not preventing him from exiting the network, or that you don't have a firewall rule / filter on your router that may be blocking him from doing so.

Good Luck!

Alright, yeah it's obtaining them automatically. And the ping went fine. There's no firewall on his computer and the router doesn't have a firewall that's preventing him from getting through. Ummm, i've tried a couple different cables and a couple ports on the switch but I guess I'm limited to trying that yet again. I dont know what else to do. Thanks for your help

ping the router then ping an external address like pacbell dns 206.13.31.12. that work?

you could also try tracerting a website like www.google.com or doing an nslookup on www.google.com.

Heh, for stupidity sake, run internet explorer and go to the tools and internet options page. Hit Connections and Setup. Run the internet connection wizard. Connect to the internet - set up my connection manually - and set it to connect through a LAN.

A very likely culprit is his browser got hijacked by spyware. Was it working before and now it doesn't or hasn't worked period?

IceWind said:
A very likely culprit is his browser got hijacked by spyware. Was it working before and now it doesn't or hasn't worked period?

Highly possible. Didn't really send my thinking down that path. Let him get back to us and we'll run him through Adaware. Spybot, and Hijackme..

ive had this problem when some spyware hijacked the network layer entirely in win2k pro. I ended up having to reinstall the OS clean :mad:

Well, the racert worked okay. It refuses to let me on AIM or IE. He runs zonealarm 24/7 on it. i'll see if he's got adaware on there.

by the way, we had a power outtage the other day, and that's what caused us to lose power and internet. a few hours later when the power returned we turned all the computers on and we all have internet except for him

zonealarm?

Make sure his setting for your network is in the TRUSTED zone. If it's in the Internet zone, he won't be able to do jack.

Yes. Zone Alarm by default does not allow connections in the internet zone to do anything. Take the network out of there and put it in Trusted Zone and he should have no problem.

Well, I put the network in the Trusted Zone and I was still not able to get Internet. The computer is restarting right now and I'll see if that will help.

Well, here, do this. Disable ZA. Try Internet. If it works, it's a ZA setting. Make sure you are allowing the browser to access the interenet, that the services and controller app have access to the internet, and you put the whole network range 192.x.x.x in the trusted zone.

good luck.

I turned zone alarm's firewall off completely, still no internet. I disabled zone alarm completely and shut it down, still nothing.

Back