Win2k Login Mess up...

siknoz

n00b
My father brought home his work laptop to transfer from files from to his home laptop, for some reason both machines would not recognize each other even tho they had the same ip range (192.168.1.xxx), but both had different workgroups/domains.

So on the work laptop(win2k) I switched from domain : rainbow.gcw to workgroup : Clan Cable

But after restarting, I cant log in. After browsing for a bit I sort of understand my problem, but now the question is, can I login through the domain still? Or is this a problem only the administrator can fix?

Or is there any way to set it back to the domain without actually logging in?

Thanks,
Very frustrated son...

Yup. I'm feeling verbose today, so I'll explain what's happening:

When a computer is in a domain, it's main source for usernames and passwords is the domain controller, it does not maintain these in it's local database ( well, it caches them, but that doesn't apply here ). When you took the machine out of the domain, it lost it's way to authenticating you or your father. Now, the machine DOES have a local list of user names and passwords, so the machine can still be logged into, but you would have to know in advance a username and password, for the local machine.

See, that's not complex...:D

Back