Win2k "Its Safe to Turn of Your Computer"

Ryck

Limp Gawd
I recently brought out of retirement an ancient system. Its a ASUS P2L97 with a PII 266 and 128MB of PC133SDram and a 45Gb HD. Okay everytime I shut own W2k it shuts down the OS and displays a screen that says "It Okay To Turn Off Your Computer" and then I have to hit the power button to shut the system off.

Now is there a way either through Win2k or BIOS to make it that when you shut down the OS it turns off the computer? When I had Win98 installed on it, it would power down the system with OS shut down.

Your help is very much appreciated.

I looked at the board, it seems to be an ATX spec. Enable ACPI and see if that cures the problem. On come board/software combos back then it (ACPI) caused some problems and ACPI was disabled by some users.

Yeah, sounds like an ACPI problem to me as well...check the BIOS settings. That's how you used to have to turn computers off in the days of the AT mobo spec...

In control panel / power options, enable APM compatibility

OldMX

I updated the BIOS earlier before doing the OS install I will check the other options and see if that helps.

Hey I tried to enable APM which windows says it supports but when I shut down the system it just restarts system and begins to boot back into BIOS. I also checked if the PNP OS option in BIOS was enabled and it was. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Its not to bad that I have to hit the power buttion to turn the system off, I would just like to figure out how if possible if it would be able to have it shut down the computer without having to manually shut it down. Whats strange is the system powered off fine with Win95/98.

Again any other suggestions would be appreciated :)

Thanks will try tommorow and let you know if it works, right now I got the sky dumping white powder down on my head that I must shovel out from under :)

Well heres the update :
I contacted ASUS and they sent me the last BIOS which was still labeled beta BIOS.
I thought I had the latest BIOS, but I was wrong. Oh well, then I reinstalled Windows 2K and all is good :) back to shutting down like it is supposed to .

Back