win2k advanced server issue + raid question

stewie

Gawd
ok, here's the problem, last night my girlfriend was using my comp (running win2k advanced server) i'm on dialup, and she was playing spider solitare. When i got back to my computer, the icons on my desktop were white. I rebooted copmuter, and some folders are now the normal icons, while exe files, and some other files are just black boxes. When i drag the mouse over the icons, then turn visable, but still black. (like ie icon on the desktop, will go from a black box to the E symbol, but it will still be black. the my computer, my documents, and all the files in control pannel are the white boxes with the microsoft logo on it. my question is; does anyone know what this could be from, and how to fix it without reinstalling windows? also, i'm running a raid setup (silconfig) as 2 slave drives, if i would have to reinstall, would i lost all my data on those drives? thanks in advanced

no, its not a virus, did a complete scan today, and nothing came up, running adware now, ran it last night, but i'll get the updates, and run it again.

Yea, definately get the updates, those are critical. Let us know how it pans out :).

I read the following solution on a messageboard I found: http://www.resellerratings.com/forum/t6434.html

There is a file in your C:\WINNT directory called "ShellIconCache". It is a hidden system file. You need to delete it. Empty the recycle bin and reboot. It should fix itself once you do this.

It's basically a cached file of all your icons. Sometimes it gets corrupt and displays black squares.

You can also use "TweakUI" from M$ and use the repair funcion in it. It does the same thing, except with the click of a button.

Disclaimer - I have NOT tried this, nor do I know that it works, nor do I know what side effects it may have. Sounds plausable, but its up to you if you want to try it :).

tried deleting the shell icon cache, but it didn't work, will have to try tweak ui.

tried tweakui, it fixed the icons on the desktop, but now there are NO icons in the control pannel, just blank, but it still has the icons, just can't see em.

Back