Win2003 SBS - Can't change Read-Only setting?

fubak

Supreme [H]ardness
I've got a separate partition and every single folder in the partition is inheriting the 'read-only' setting. I can change it and apply it to all subfolders, but when I open the properties again it the setting is back.

I have a user that is seeing every file in one of the share folders in that partition as read-only, but I'm only seeing the folders as read-only. This is driving me insane!!! Any help?

As for the folders, I think that's normal. Is it actually checked (black check) or one of those weird gray check marks?

Black means that the directory is actually read only. Gray means that something underneath is read only.

From a command prompt, go to the drive/directory in question and type:

dir /s /ar

You'll get a list of all of the read only files.

If a network user has problems with read-only access, it is normally caused by lack of share or ntfs permissions

It depends on what he means by "read only." It sounds to me that he's referring to the read only file attribute.

I would check the file, and if it's not set to read only, check the NTFS and share permissions.

the way that server looks at files and read only permissions is legacy, the check bo actually does nothing and does not set the attributes to read only, all file permissions are set through the active directory and are all permission based

That's not true. Setting the read only attribute to true DOES make the file read only. If you set read only, open the file, modify it, and attempt to save, it will say "Cannot create the ____ file. Make sure that the path and filename are correct" even if you have write permission via NTFS.

Back