Win2003 - Local vs network rights. issues

amazon3d

Limp Gawd
Hello the nature of my problem is hard to explain as I don't really know how far it spreads yet.
I did a fresh install of Server 2k3 and all updates and set it up with AD, DNS, DHCP, File Server, WINS server, Remote access and VPN server.
I've added my users and added 3 machines to the server.
On each of the machines i logged in with the admin account and went to install some programs for the users. When I went to install something it told me that I didn't have administrative rights, (using the network admin account) I had to add the network admin to the local admin list in order to get anything done. Even after installing all that I went to open MS accounting and open a company using a standard user and got another user rights error saying i didnt have permission.
I haven't been able to find the cause and am stabbing in the dark trying to find the cause.
If you need more info just let me know, I need to get the network back up and running lol.

You say you "added three machines to the server"

However, did you actually go through the process of joining the machines to the domain (not just create the accounts) ?

Yes, I setup the accounts went to the client machines and joined them to the domain, said welcome to the "domain name". You must restart your computer for these changes to take place, I login under my domain using the proper account, yet I cannot do anything even a guest account can do, tried accessing network programs, was a no go, tried runing MS Accounting, was a no go (SQL server). Tried accessing files that are for "all users" to remove some shortcuts and couldn't. There seems to be a permissions issue but I cant figure out where, with the last install I didn't have this issue. I didn't change anything with this install that I am aware of. (Last install I made a booboo with GP I couldn't undo).

Yes, I setup the accounts went to the client machines and joined them to the domain, said welcome to the "domain name". You must restart your computer for these changes to take place, I login under my domain using the proper account, yet I cannot do anything even a guest account can do, tried accessing network programs, was a no go, tried runing MS Accounting, was a no go (SQL server). Tried accessing files that are for "all users" to remove some shortcuts and couldn't. There seems to be a permissions issue but I cant figure out where, with the last install I didn't have this issue. I didn't change anything with this install that I am aware of. (Last install I made a booboo with GP I couldn't undo).

After you see the "welcome to the (domain) domain", before you reboot, go into Control Panel, then User Account, and you can add the user for that particular computer, and set up his rights.. THEN reboot.

If you already logged into that computer though, you have to log out, and log back in as local administrator, add the user account in control panel, then relog back into the user account.

Is it supose to be like that or is there a glitch somewhere?

It's supposed to be like that. When you join a computer to a domain, you have to assign the said computer to the person locally too.

I meant are you supose to have to add the user via the user panel as a power user in order to everyday tasks? Last time I joined computers to the domain the local security settings set themselves automatically. I know you have to go to each computer to join it to the domain that much was obvious. But to have to set the local user settings on every machine really doesn't seem right. I got it to work but I had to make quite a few changes and for some reason the user kept getting erased from the power user list so i would have to add it again.

This issue seems to keep continuing, I added user-x to the computer admin list so that he could open programs (windows erased my folder permissions every time the computer restarted) and it looks like it is working for the moment.
I know it is not supose to work this way as I have set it up twice before and never had these kinds of issues, I mean really how can you not have permission to open a program that is available to all users?

There either has to be a domain policy that is incorrectly set or something that wasn't setup in the first place. I followed the directions on everything and set it up similar to the way I set it up with SBS and the previous 2k3 setup. Yet the problems ensue.
If you even think you might have a possible fix or know of an issue that would cause me to have to set the permissions on the local computer rather then GP handling it I would love to hear from you.

Back