Win10 Storage Spaces Question

Vaulter98c

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2009
So, I've been testing out 1 6 month trial of server 2012 using a parity space to hold all my plex media because its a cheap and effective way to "like RAID" it up and combine drives with a failure option still on the table. Yes I'm aware it's not RAID, yes I'm aware it's not the best option out there, but for free and easy it takes the cake, and the performance is enough to keep up with a gigabit network atleast and it does fine for plex

My question is, is storage spaces parity option available on windows 10? I've done some googling and it sounds like it's all just copy pasted over from old pages and can't find an honest review thats later then 2013 that specifically states the testing was done on 10, closest I can find is an article showing server 2016 saying yea should work on 10 too

So, can anyone tell me real quick for sure if it will work or not? I dont have enough free drives to try it in my gamer rig and just want to confirm from someone before I go and buy a key

got a better free option that's as simple as a few clicks of a mouse and can set up in a minute, that also will work on any windows machine hardware independent and I can also add drives to as easy with?

I know it's not perfect and there are better paid options out there, like I said, but you don't have to be a fucking ass about it, it's perfectly fine for the average home media server despite whatever notions you think you have about it, and if you don't want to answer the question just don't answer it, you don't have to be a prick about it

Actually, better yet, if you want to be such a dick, why don't you tell me why I should only use it if I hate my data. You tell me why it's so damn bad? Because I've already got a year experience in just fine with it that says you're wrong

I have used windows 10 storage spaces. I have not been overly thrilled with it. It looses drives sometimes, and I need to reboot several times to keep them working. And yet, I can use drivepool with the same drives and not have issues at all.

Definitely not the most stable program.

I have used windows 10 storage spaces. I have not been overly thrilled with it. It looses drives sometimes, and I need to reboot several times to keep them working. And yet, I can use drivepool with the same drives and not have issues at all.

Definitely not the most stable program.

Yeah I don't know why they have included it in a Desktop OS. It works great on a larger scale with the proper hardware, but at the desktop level it seems like something they forgot to pull out before release.

That's odd, i figure it would have been the same as server 12 R2. Thanks for the heads up tho. Just curious. Ever figure what made your drives disappear or still just something you only saw in SS?

I've also used Storage Space, Parity and Mirror, in 2012, 8, 8.1 and 10, for several years and it's worked great. If you're interested in greater data protection, format from the command line and use the /integrity switch as it will hash and check all data written/read from the drive instead of just the metadata which is the default, e.g.:
format d: /fs:REFS /q /i:enabled

Agreed. Switched to Drivepool and its way better and i never fear losing my data.

Bingo. DrivePool + SNAPRAID. Using any striped raid for home media is just introducing unnecessary risk due to disk interdependency, since striping is a performance and uptime multiplier only. No way I'd trust my data to storage spaces since it's a blackbox.

Bingo. DrivePool + SNAPRAID. Using any striped raid for home media is just introducing unnecessary risk due to disk interdependency, since striping is a performance and uptime multiplier only. No way I'd trust my data to storage spaces since it's a blackbox.

I'm in a similar scenario, looking for a storage option with redundancy for my home media server. I've used DrivePool on WHS2011 with great results. I've heard of snapRAID. However, how do you combine the both of them? What feature set does that give you?

I've also used Storage Space, Parity and Mirror, in 2012, 8, 8.1 and 10, for several years and it's worked great. If you're interested in greater data protection, format from the command line and use the /integrity switch as it will hash and check all data written/read from the drive instead of just the metadata which is the default, e.g.:
format d: /fs:REFS /q /i:enabled

A few days ago I created three parity pools on Windows 2012R2 , via the GUI without commandline parameters.
Now ich checked some files via "Get-FileIntegrity" and it shows "Enabled"=True and "Enforced"=True

This means that the integrity streams are enabled by default here?

A few days ago I created three parity pools on Windows 2012R2 , via the GUI without commandline parameters.
Now ich checked some files via "Get-FileIntegrity" and it shows "Enabled"=True and "Enforced"=True

This means that the integrity streams are enabled by default here?

Yea, get-fileintegrity shows that hashing is enabled on a file. But it is per file, so ideally you'd want to check all files on the drive via something like:

Code:
dir -ea 0 \* -recurse|?{$_.psiscontainer -eq $false} |%{Get-FileIntegrity -ea 0 $_.fullname}

Back