Win10 I changed my mobo, what happens?

dukenuke88

[H]ard|Gawd
I upgraded to Win 10 from 8.1 by taking advantage of the free offer from Microsoft. So that means they already have my mobo ID saved onto their servers. What happens when I change my mobo to Skylake? Will it be a simple automated phone call like past versions?

I'm not even sure what kind of license it is. I bought this key directly from MS in 2012 when they were doing $15 Windows 8.0 promos. Of course Windows 8.1 is free using the same 8.0 key....and Windows 10 I manually "upgraded" and it tied my mobo ID to the MS servers.

Damn I didn't even see that thread. I was searching and "10" was one of my keywords. I guess that's why it didn't pop up. Thanks for pointing it out!

If you bought it direct from MS, it should be a retail license. So you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

I'm not even sure what kind of license it is. I bought this key directly from MS in 2012 when they were doing $15 Windows 8.0 promos. Of course Windows 8.1 is free using the same 8.0 key....and Windows 10 I manually "upgraded" and it tied my mobo ID to the MS servers.

Damn I didn't even see that thread. I was searching and "10" was one of my keywords. I guess that's why it didn't pop up. Thanks for pointing it out!

You will be fine as long as you are not using the key in another computer. However, you will have to start over from scratch and then do the upgrade. (I did the same thing with the $40 Windows 8 key on multiple occasions.) If you want to try and change your hardware without redoing your computer, you will have to purchase a Windows 10 equivalent key going forward. That is pretty much the way it has always been with Windows upgrades though.

I just upgraded my motherboard using Windows 10 too. I think it will activate itself after a few Windows updates like it happened with my copy of Windows 7 Ultimate.

Windows 7 took about 2 months to activate itself (maybe servers were busy) when I upgraded my motherboard.

Back