Win XP x64 not Formatting Raid 6 GPT Disk

BigXor

Weaksauce
I have an Adaptec 5445, 4 Hitachi 5k3000 2TB Drives and they are on the Adaptec compatibility list. Using Win XP x64 after a completed Build/Verify I get a formatting error after converting to a GPT disk.

I have used Win 7 repair disk and formatted the drive, but when I get over 2 TB of movies transferred Windows starts corrupting previously copied directories.

The more data over 2TB I transfer the more directories it corrupts.

I have also used Parted Magic to format the array.

So far this is happening with Raid 6 array, I am currently building a Raid 5 array but that should make absolutely no difference to the OS. (just checking anyway).

Anybody run into this problem?

Last edited:
According to MS
Q. What is the default behavior of Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003 when partitioning media?

A. For Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003 only (for Itanium-based systems), fixed disks are partitioned by using GPT partitioning. GPT disks can be converted to MBR disks only if all existing partitioning is first deleted, with associated loss of data.

Q. What is the default behavior of the 32-bit version of Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x64 when partitioning media?

A. Only MBR disks can be used.

Source: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463525.aspx

It looks like you'd have to use Vista or 7 x64 in order to use GPT like you're trying to.

Back