Win XP update problem

clreinstein

Limp Gawd
I goto windows update and let it run and everytime I do it comes up with the I need security update (KB835732). I download and install the update and its say installation successful. Whenever I come back to the win update it is there again to dl and install. Ive done it a number of time to see if it would take and no luck. I tried removing the update and reinstalling and no worky. The computer works fine but I want to fix this cause this update supposedly prevents the sasser worm.

Flush your DNS, and Clear your Temp Files, and cookies!

I know how to do the rest but how do I flush the DNS? Im probably know how I just call it something else maybe?

from a command prompt

ipconfig /flushdns

it should tell you it was sucsessful.

Ok did everything that was suggested and it is still showing that update to be installed???

Try click on the link supplied in the description of the update. That should eventually lead you to download an individual package for the update alone. Try run that update package to see if there is any error reported. Sometimes Windows Update's web site does not report errors.

Edit: here (Windows XP)

I already downloaded the individual update that you linked. It installed fine and no errors were reported.

A friend of mine has the exact same problem with the exact same patch. If you find a fix, please post it here.

I just found this on a newsgroup - Tell me if it works please...

*COPY*

Ok, folks, finally put a lot of gathered information together and successfully solved the problem with KB835732 repeatedly needing to be installed (at least on my machine). Please note, however, that this may not fix everyone's dilemma with this problem.

I believe this problem has a lot to do with the way Windows Update checks for the existence of the updated files that KB835732 installs on the system rather that a problem with the update itself. By gathering information throughout the newsgroup, I finally came up with a hypothesis, and what ultimately resolved this situation for me was copying the entire netmeeting folder from my system drive (C:) to my secondary drive (D:) where I set my Program Files folder to be. The result would be two identical folders with identical contents at paths C:\program files\netmeeting\ and D:\program files\netmeeting. After doing so, the update no longer comes up in Windows Update as needed to be installed.

Here's my theory to why this fix works and what the problem is with the way the Windows Update checks for the existence of KB835732. First, my C: drive is my system drive. By default, I think the update installs itself to the system drive and not my secondary programs drive (the drive for the Program Files directory). What happens is that the when Windows Update searches for the existence of the updated files in the Netmeeting folder, it's set to look for files in the Program Files directory as indicated by the system. If I remember correctly, Netmeeting is installed automatically when Windows is installed. During this time, the default Program Files drive is the system drive (in my case C:) until you change it (like I did - I changed it to D:), so the initial installation of Netymeeting is set to install to the original Program Files drive (the one Windows is installed on).

That's all well and good until you try to do the Windows Update and it searches in the current Program Files diretcory. Obviously, it finds nothing so it needs you to install KB835732. The kicker is that it updates to whatever directory the system tells the update program that netmeeting is currently installed to. Therefore the problem lies in the fact that the system does not look on the drive where Netmeeting is installed, but rather in the current Program Files directory. If this is hard to follow, I'll illustrated this with a chart below that outlines what is looked for by what and when using my particular example...

EVENT Current PF Directory Directory Looked At/Checked Directory installed to

Initial Windows Installation C: N/A C:
Netmeeting Installation C: N/A C: (current PF dir)
Change Default Drive Letter to D: D: N/A N/A
Windows Update Initial Check for NM D: D: (current PF dir) N/A
KB835732 Installation D: N/A C: (existing NM location)
Updated Netmeeting Directory D: C: (same as orig. NM dir) N/A
Further Windows Update Checks D: D: N/A
Further KB835732 Installations D: N/A C: (existing NM location)

In summary, the KB835732 installation installs to the directory where Netmeeting is installed, but Windows Update looks for the updated files in the current Program Files drive. If the two don't match, then the problem arises. Again, the solution is to copy the Netmeeting directory into the Program Files folder indicated in the registry as the current path for the Program Files folder. To see what drive you have as the current drive for the Program Files folder, open the Windows registry (Start -> Run... -> regedit) and navigate to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version and look for the string value called ProgramFilesDir. The value should list the path of the Program Files directory including the drive letter. If the Netmeeting folder is not the same as this, then there's most likely the problem. If they're the same, then there might be some other bug with the update that's the problem.

My netmeeting in the default program files folder although the netmeeting folder itself is empty since I think I deleted its contents when I installed windows since I dont use netmeeting.

(It's late and I don't know if I'm making sense...)

Sounds like you answered your own question? Since those Netmeeting files are not there Windows Update keeps thinking that it needs to update? So putting those files back in should solve the problem (my netmeeting folder only takes up 2.95MB why would you want to save that amount of space nowadays?)?

I dont know where to get a copy of netmeeting. The one that is microsofts site is not compatible with xp pro and only works with win2k and older.

I fixed it. I found the xp netmeeting files on another computer on my home network and copied the folder. Now it shows them installed and all is good.

Back