Win XP Reactivating Woes

i just installed XP Home onto new harddrives. i had taken out everything to clean it thouroughly. when tweaking xp a small bit, i noticed that it read only 1gb of ram instead of the 2gb i had purchased. i turned everything off and plugged in the extra ram which did not click in all the way. as soon as i reboot windows says there was a major hardware change and i needed to reactivate windows xp. so i thought no problem. but, when i went to reactivate microsoft tells me that my activation has expired after being used so many times. now they are giving me advice on how to make my "counterfeit" copy genuine! i purchased my copy fair and square OEM! is my only solution to shell out $100 for a new copy and activation key?!

...they give you the 800 number to do it. I had the same issue; I rebuild my HD periodically; you call, explain what has happened, they activate you over the phone. Not a big issue. :)

Have a good one.

John

Yeah give them a call, they'll give you a activation code. Hardest part is trying to understand them.

Not a big issue? It is when the person on the other end is a robot and after you read the series of numbers and then it tells you it's not valid and puts you through to a real person and then have to read the whole series of numbers again. Or how about they won't activate your OEM copy, like happened to one person on this board? It's a PITA.

....it sounds like he was just reading the info supplied by an activation over the Internet attempt - all automated, no voice. And yes, if you do call you have to read the numbers twice - hey, it's better than paying $$ for another copy. As for OEM...it should be a no-hassle deal...in August 2005 Microsoft redefined an original equipment manufacturer to include anyone buying a qualifying piece of hardware, including a hobbyist who was building their own system...it shouldn't enter into the equation.

John

Gatticus said:
Not a big issue? It is when the person on the other end is a robot and after you read the series of numbers and then it tells you it's not valid and puts you through to a real person and then have to read the whole series of numbers again. Or how about they won't activate your OEM copy, like happened to one person on this board? It's a PITA.

keep hitting zero's and it will keep going until the end. i dont even bother entering the numbers anymore, it wont validate it... just hit the 0's and wait for habib

coachjohn said:
....it sounds like he was just reading the info supplied by an activation over the Internet attempt - all automated, no voice. And yes, if you do call you have to read the numbers twice - hey, it's better than paying $$ for another copy. As for OEM...it should be a no-hassle deal...in August 2005 Microsoft redefined an original equipment manufacturer to include anyone buying a qualifying piece of hardware, including a hobbyist who was building their own system...it shouldn't enter into the equation.

John

If you change motherboards it does enter into the equation. They don't have to give you an activation code if you changed the mb. That's why I pay extra for the retail version. He got his OEM version activated, just called and talked to someone else. But he said some woman wouldn't activate his OEM version when he first called.

viper650 said:
keep hitting zero's and it will keep going until the end. i dont even bother entering the numbers anymore, it wont validate it... just hit the 0's and wait for habib

Yea, I figured that one out a while back but saying that wouldn't have helped my cause. :)

Back