Win XP: Network Drive opening as a file?

Stormlifter

2[H]4U
When I try to open my Network Drive my computer pops up asking me to "Choose the program you want to use to open this file:"... Thing is I'm clicking on a drive from My Computer, it's not a file, however, if I choose explore.exe it will open the actual drive.

Anyone know whats up?

wow, that's odd. Well, what if you just choose explorer.exe and then tell it to use that program for all files of that type? Maybe that'll fix it. I don't know what could have possibly caused that in the first place though.

I am having a similar problem with a factory install of Windows XP on a Dell laptop. The default action for mapped network drives is "Autoplay", and it brings up the "Choose the program you want to use to open this file".

It works just fine with folders, drives, and with network fileshares (for example, you can access the folder via "My Network Places"), but does not recognize mapped network drives. It also works just fine when "explore"ing, but simply does not work in "My Computer".

We have tried removing and remapping the drive, and remapping it with a different drive letter. We also tried using system restore to restore to a point prior to when the problem first arose, but to no avail.The issue is that we have a proprietary application that requires access to datafiles mapped to drive "Z", and it needs the proper application associated with the folder, or else it crashes.

I have also noticed that the "Always open using this application" checkbox is disabled in this situation. Were you able to solve the problem?

The problem turned out to be a copy of Autorun.inf on the root of the shared folder. To fix the problem, delete autorun.inf, disconnect from all instances of the network drive, and then remap the drive.

Back