Win XP hangs up on loading

jeffster

n00b
My computer just recently crashed last week. Instead of wanting to upgrade all the way to a faster computer, I wanted to keep the processor, AMD Barton 1.25 ghz chip. I had a Epox EP-8RD3+ and wanted something similiar. I found an Epox EP-8KRAI Pro and thought that would be good. I upgraded the case and powersupply as well, but that was the only change. I was able to boot up and had to reinstall windows, which I was expecting. I lost some files but they were no biggie. Up until yesterday, I was back to pre-crash status. I was prompted to update my acrobat pro 7 files and so I did that. I was prompted to restart, so I did. All of a sudden, I could not get past bios because it could not find my keyboard (usb). I had an old ps/2 keyboard on hand and plugged it in and then I was able to load BIOS. Unfortunately, windows would hang and I could not get any where. I would see the Win XP logo, but that was it. It would disappear and then my computer would lock up. I was able to get into windows thru safe mode and I restored to an earlier point and it worked fine. Then today, my finance was using the computer and had typed up some documents and wanted to save them. She also wanted to back them up to the USB flash disk. When she put it in, she said that it was not able to load hardware and that it was not working, and the computer restarted. The keyboard again was no found and I had to pull out the ps/2 one again. I tried restoring to a previous point, but that doesn't help. I found out that epox had upgraded the BIOS to fix a hang on USB 2.0 problem so I downloaded it and flashed BIOS. Still no go. Only way for me to access xp is through safe mode. And that's where I'm at. I'm at a loss and do not know where to go now.

Back