• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Win XP gone crazy... wont boot for some reason

Hyper_Psycho

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 26, 2002
Messages
2,944
I'm trying to install this program from an ISO (my school provided it in that form) and deamon tools acted a bit weird givi thougng me a windows 2000 error (despite the computer running xp).

I tried Alcohol 52 and 120 to create two virtual drives but neither finished. I would select 2 virtual drives to be created and then the program would just hang.

I uninstalled deamon and downloaded the latest version. I clicked on the setup and told me that I need to restart. I clicked OK and the computer restarted only to stay on the Windows XP boot screen.

I though that there might be something screwy with the startup so I tried to boot into safe mode.

That did not work either. I get to the mup.sys file and the computer just hangs there.

Is there anything I could do to fix all this ? How the hell can I get back into windows? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
 
Hyper_Psycho said:
That did not work either. I get to the mup.sys file and the computer just hangs there.

Is there anything I could do to fix all this ? How the hell can I get back into windows? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Recovery Console is your answer.

You have a borked file somewhere that you need to replace with a "known good" copy. You can attempt to copy mup.sys first, but somehow I doubt that is causing the problem.

Before you ask: no, I am not going to walk you through the steps to copy from the Recovery Console. Google is your friend. You simply need to find the file on the HDD, find the file on the CD, and copy from CD to HDD. I'm sure you can figure it out.

What program are you trying to install, and why in the hell would your school have you running Daemon Tools for it? Sounds fishy to me.
 
quick fix you might want to try like the above poster said it get into recovery console.

from there type fixmbr, and/or fixboot.

both could quite possibly fix your problem. id read a bit about the two first though before you try it.
 
thanks on the replies
i will try what you guys said and will let you know if i can get it to work
 
Back
Top