Win Server Question

So I have been thinking about building a server for my house probably in a Mini-ITX format. My question would be is Windows Server the best route to go for this?

I would really like to make my server a cloud for myself honestly. Where I can access it from anywhere I can access the internet.

Essentially I have my desktop laptop and xbox/ps3 in my house I would like to be able to store essentially all my files on said server. I.e. word documents, photos, music, videos, etc. and just access them from my computers. And if I could access the files from my laptop while I'm at school not on my own network that would be nice.

Sounds like you are just looking for a file server. Windows does a good job of that but it's pretty costly compared too the free alternatives that can serve up files just as good.

All the magic that is involved in accessing them remotely is going to be done with your router or some other networking gear. However, you could use 2012 as a vpn or even play with direct access and not have to make any changes to your network.

Short answer: yes, it will work fine for what you want to do

Imagine the modem/router that I am using won't work then... It is just the one that came with uverse. 3801HGV

Unless you are in it for the learning experience or you just like to tinker with hardware and OS's, a Windows server is going to be expensive for what you are building, which is essentially a NAS. You can pick up a NAS for well under $200, plug it into your network and you're pretty much done.

Back