Win Server 2003 VS XP Pro

maddude

2[H]4U
Through my school I am able to get Windows XP Pro, server 2003, and Vista for free. I currently have a file server sharing media among 6 computers. I think XP has a limitation of 10 connections at a time.

I'm wondering if server 2003 would allow me to set up different level of access to files. Can i log on and use a password to change and delete files, but have a password just to view files, and not change them. Also, would I be able to control the server over the gigabyte LAN? Like a remote desktop?

Sorry for all the questions, and I'm sure they're not worded perfectly, but I know nothing of 2003 and I'll appreciate any information I can get.

Thank you.

If you are using a server (defined by functions and services, not hardware) and you can get Server 2003 for free, that's what you'd want to be using.

Awesome response time guys, I'll install it sometime in the next week and see how everything works!

Edit: Another question, I can get the Standard Edition, Web Edition, and Enterprise Edition. I think I won't be connecting more than 12 computers to this, so which one would make the most sense?

I usually get the most feature rich/expensive version (I went with Enterprise). If it's free, go for the gold! :)

Back