Win 8.1 network woes

crazjayz

2[H]4U
So, I'm not sure if this is the right area to ask this, but I shall anyway. Mods, please move if need be.

I have a new laptop running Win 8.1 connected via WiFi on my network that also has a Win 7 computer connected via Ethernet. Both computer are on the same workgroup, but not homegroup (and I don't want to use homegroup). What I am trying to do is access the W7 desktop from my W8.1 laptop.

Here's the problem: I can see the W7 computer from my W8.1 laptop when I go to Network, but when I double click the W7 computer, I get an error message saying "Windows cannot access \\W7computer". Here's the funny thing, when I type in the IP address of the W7 computer into the address bar, it connects just fine. Furthermore, I can use remote desktop connection from the W8.1 to the W7 computer via \\W7computer. Can anyone explain what's going on here? It seems as though there's a mapping error in the Network window on the W8.1 computer, but for the life of me I can't fix it. TIA!

I'd try going into the adapter and turning off IPv6 and shutting down the firewall and see if anything happens on the Windows 7 machine. For some reason those two issues seem to pop up a lot when networking with Windows 7 machines, even 2008/R2.

Up until the point in your post where you said RDP worked AOK, I was convinced that you have the same problem that I have at my home, which I suspect is IPv6 name resolution over my shitty wireless router that is cabled as an access point.

In my situtation, I am unable to access shared resources on a wireless laptop from my wired desktop via hostname, only via its IPv4 address. If I place my laptop onto the wired network, then I can connect to it via hostname with no problem.

While I haven't spent any time on this because there isn't much on my laptop I'd need to share. And if I think about it, the only time I needed to was because my dvd drive was broken on my desktop or something and I needed to share the optical drive off my laptop... whatever.

My theory is that since Vista, Windows prefers IPv6 over IPv4. And IPv6 local network name resolution changed considerably. It went from a network broadcast packet to a multicast packet and I suspect that my router as an AP isn't handling that multicast traffic correctly.

Try disabling IPv6 on the device trying to access that shared resource to see if that helps. If it does, I think you may have the same problem. Why it is working with RDP - no clue, perhaps it is more tolerant of the IPv4 failover?

Up until the point in your post where you said RDP worked AOK, I was convinced that you have the same problem that I have at my home, which I suspect is IPv6 name resolution over my shitty wireless router that is cabled as an access point.

In my situtation, I am unable to access shared resources on a wireless laptop from my wired desktop via hostname, only via its IPv4 address. If I place my laptop onto the wired network, then I can connect to it via hostname with no problem.

While I haven't spent any time on this because there isn't much on my laptop I'd need to share. And if I think about it, the only time I needed to was because my dvd drive was broken on my desktop or something and I needed to share the optical drive off my laptop... whatever.

My theory is that since Vista, Windows prefers IPv6 over IPv4. And IPv6 local network name resolution changed considerably. It went from a network broadcast packet to a multicast packet and I suspect that my router as an AP isn't handling that multicast traffic correctly.

Try disabling IPv6 on the device trying to access that shared resource to see if that helps. If it does, I think you may have the same problem. Why it is working with RDP - no clue, perhaps it is more tolerant of the IPv4 failover?

Yeah, it's a really REALLY weird situation. Funny thing is it really only started happening recently. I just tried turning IPv6 off for BOTH computers, and no luck. RDP works just by right clicking the W7 computer name in Network and then clicking "Connect with Remote Desktop Connection". I prompts me for credentials, I enter them, and boom, RDP.

I'm super confused about this. Perhaps it's an IE11 setting? I did recently enable compatibility view for a website, since it doesn't support IE11 and it's for work.

Ok, let's get back to basics then.

Disable any software firewalls you may have running on both computers. If it is Windows Firewall, just search for "Firewall", and open up "Windows Firewall". Don't go into Windows Firewall with Advanced Security. If you are using any third-party firewalls, you're on your own.

When you are in Windows Firewall, which profile is active? Report this on both machines.

After disabling the firewall, are you able to connect?

Ok, let's get back to basics then.

Disable any software firewalls you may have running on both computers. If it is Windows Firewall, just search for "Firewall", and open up "Windows Firewall". Don't go into Windows Firewall with Advanced Security. If you are using any third-party firewalls, you're on your own.

When you are in Windows Firewall, which profile is active? Report this on both machines.

After disabling the firewall, are you able to connect?

Tried this, and yet, connecting by clicking \\COMPUTERNAME in Network is still hit or miss. It worked a couple days ago all day, then recently it just stopped.

I've tabled the issue for now and just decided to map the network location. Thanks for everyone's help. Maybe later when I have more time to figure this out I'll figure out the solution.

Back