Win 7 won't boot up unless I use Boot Manager

Pied

Gawd
Hi guys,

My system has been working just fine for many months and when I went to reboot yesterday I was greeted with a message that Windows could not boot and I should boot with my Win 7 and use "repair". I tried that to no avail - it would not run the repair. If I get to the boot manager I can get right in to windows and everything seems happy. I have done a complete virus scan - run system file checker - checked BIOS settings - and I can't figure this out. I have checked the boot priority and all that - the BIOS sees my drive just fine.

In brief my system is a Asus P67 Sabertooth with a 2500K processor and 16G Corsair RAM. I'm running a legit copy of Windows 7 Ultimate. 64-bit. Boot drive is a Crucial M4 256GB. All windows updates are up to speed. Any ideas???

When you say "Boot Manager" do you mean that your EFI is set to "Windows Boot Manager" or do you mean using the ASUS F8 button to select the SSD to boot from the boot menu?

If you installed to the SSD as EFI, you must have "Windows Boot Manager" set as the first boot device in the EFI settings. Setting it to boot from the Corsair ssd will not work.

To verify you are on a EFI GTP disk, boot into Windows, enter Disk Management, and look for a partition called "EFI System Partition". If you see that, set Windows Boot Manager as the first boot option in the boot tab of EFI settings.

I followed your instructions and if you were here I'd give you a high-five. I did fiddle with the boot settings after the problem appeared but I would still be flailing without your help. Thanks man! I'd like to know how my system got out of whack in the first place, but I'm soooo pleased to be back to normal again!

Pied

Back