win 7 updates is fixed

I'm not sure what planet that author has been on, but Windows update has been "fast again" for months. You just have to manually install the fixes and bypass WU to get started. There were a couple threads about it over the summer.

Most people do not know about the manual fix so why doesn't Microsoft push the fix on WU? Because they want people to get frustrated and get Win10 instead. Despicable.

Reactions: DPI
like this
I'm not sure what planet that author has been on, but Windows update has been "fast again" for months. You just have to manually install the fixes and bypass WU to get started. There were a couple threads about it over the summer.

Absolutely not the case for everybody.
I've continually had issues with numerous Win7 machines.

Currently, one troublesome box has been chugging away "checking" for 7 minutes now, despite having been recently patched (and up to date) as of October.

Last edited:
Absolutely not the case for everybody.
I've continually had issues with numerous Win7 machines.

Currently, one troublesome box has been chugging away "checking" for 7 minutes now, despite having been recently patched (and up to date) as of October.
I suppose. I've tested Windows 7 on clean installs on hardware and in VM's and have not had issues with updates following the manual update procedure for the handful of fixes required for this issue. I admit I haven't found/touched an existing 7 that is experiencing this.

I had to factory reset two 7 machines last week and both just hung for days on checking for updates. Even after applying SP1 manually. It was not until I stopped the wuauserv service and applied the latest servicing stack update that it got rid of the svchost problem but was still slow in checking updates. The rollups mentioned in the articles tend to do the trick. I carry them around on flash drives just in case :D

Same old song and dance as XP; high CPU usage overall broken WU conveniently around the time it went EOL. This time, it seems to be conveniently when 7 is gaining share from 10.

Took over 20 minutes yesterday, to find the few Office patches that were released on Oct 31.
We'll see how today stacks up when this month's patches are released in WU/MU.

No, its still broke. I finally just got tired of trying to fix it and turned them off. Periodically ill look for the latest group of updates, install them while it works on it all night and then after the fact I look for and remove for the billionth time any telemetry updates. However, if I leave the update service running on a continual basis, it will just absorb CPU resources and spin for hours and hours.

Not fixed here. As an Admin can't do my dam job waiting forever for the initial batch of updates. Had to spin up an integrated ISO with the April rollup. Fuck You Microsoft.

Back