Win 7: unexplained HD and CPU activity

gkg101

Limp Gawd
Hi
I think I have a problem with too much activity and usage while I’m away from my computer. This is a recurring situation. When I walk away from my computer for about 20-30 minutes and then return, I notice the hard drive light racing and the CPU at about 10-35%. But there are no active programs running (that I know of) that would do this for so long. Every time when I click on the desktop this activity ends right away. I've tried turning off indexing but this changes nothing. If I wait about 15 minutes or so this activity subsides without me having to click the desktop. Otherwise my computer operates fine. Nothing shows on scans with MSE, MBAM and Super Anti-Spyware. I did have a virus cleaning earlier this year and was given a clean bill of health. Since then I've modified my online activities to avoid malware. Any advice?

You might be infected with a virus and your computer could be, being used in a botnet

The CPU usage would bug me, but with Window 7, its constantly pinging the harddrive/file system.

I noticed a similar thing a while back and used sysinternals to see what was really going...mostly inane back ground tasks.

@Roul
Thought it might be an indexing problem and was advised to turn it off which I did to no avail.

@crazykid71
I'm considering that possibility but I wouldn't know what how to confirm that

@Monkey God
Would these background task cease upon one mouse click?
I'm not knowledgeable enough to use sysinternals. I should go to BleepingComputer.com for help because this sure looks like if this is male ware it can hide from the anti male ware programs I'm currently using.

Last edited:
Look out for all the fear mongering....

It is perfectly normal behavior. Windows is just running background tasks to keep itself clean and neat. I would suggest that if you are not aware of this, then stop messing with disabling stuff at random as you WILL make a mess of it.
Indexing is only a small part of the background, a lot more in play that I can't be stuffed listing.

yea, I guess your right but just seemed to me to be excessive, thanks....turning back on indexing now

@Roul
Thought it might be an indexing problem and was advised to turn it off which I did to no avail.

I didn't suggest turning it off, there's no reason to. There's no need to castrate Window's processes.

Back