Win 7 & poor 1080p playback

DangerIsGo

2[H]4U
I have windows 7 installed on my HTPC which has the following specs:

Asus M3A78-EM HDMI MB
4GB DDRII 800 GSKill
Radeon HD3200 (onboard)
AMD BE2300 Brisbane

So when I play a 1080p MKV locally, I have no issues (playing with either WMC or MPC-HD with the latest FFDShow installed). When streaming from a NAS (custom built PC) via my main PC (quad core penryn, 4GB DDRII-800, Rampage Formula) with MPC, I have no issues. When streaming from the same NAS to that same HTPC with win XP installed via MediaPortal, I had no issues. But after installing win 7 and using WMC on the HTPC, playing 720p movies on WMC has no issues but 1080p movies prove to be trouble. Some movies would pixelate so bad, that its unwatchable. Some skip so bad and some pause and continue so frequently, they're also unwatchable. So now, I have no idea what it could be. I have a gigabit network with gigabit switches, and the gigabit full duplex set in network connections with a 9KB Jumbo Packet size. So I have no idea why im getting such crappy performance. I guess I could try putting in another gigabit card, could be the port, but one thing I could try is (since this switch is connected to another one in which the NAS is connected to even though that should not matter that much) connected the HTPC directly to the NAS's switch. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also, Im running the latest (9.9) Catalyst.

Edit: Seems I found the problem: Having the stacked switches caused the issue. When the switches arent stacked, everything plays fine, both in MPC and WMC. Sorry for such a quick fix/reply, but I didn't expect to solve the problem that easily (it never gets solved that easily for me in the past :p )

Last edited:
In Vista I had to disable Network Throttling http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948066... I have 2 systems with Windows 7 and the Registry keys are still present. so I disabled it, but I didn't test if it was needed.

That wouldn't cause/fix visible corruption. Sounds like either a bad decoder or your videos are corrupt. Also, it doens't matter that you're 'playing' MKV files as they're only containers. It matters what's in them.

Try forcing WMC to use ffdshow instead of the Microsoft H.264 decoder via this thing.

Back