Win 7 "No Internet Access" but I`m clearly connected...Ideas?

BigBadAl

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

I have, issued by my company, a HP Probook 4530s, Core I3, 4GB Win7.

Initially it came from them with Win 7 Enterprise on it but even though we`re an IT company who have IT engineers, the laptops are pretty well locked down. We`re not allowed to install our own stuff, not even drivers or updates to software already installed.

I had an issue with their VPN that they couldn`t fix remotely shortly after first receiving it so I`ve not used the VPN since.

Now things have got so bad with this laptop and their nearest IT Dept is like 150 miles away, I decided to do something about it. I have no intention of driving it down there!

I gave up and bit the bullet and popped their hard disk out and swapped in a disk of my own and threw Win7 Pro x64 on there. I`m on it now... seems to be working fine.....except for the little yellow triangle with the ! in it saying "No Internet Access".

Now clearly, as I`m on here posting, I obviously have internet access but this little triangle says differently!

I`ve been through the HP drivers pages and got most of what I need and except for 2x "Base System Devices" and an "Unknown Device" I have all the drivers done.

I`ve uninstalled and reinstalled pretty much everything, I`ve changed the power management settings for the wifi adapter I`ve even tried setting static ip`s and dns for the wifi AND the wired Gb NIC but this bloody yellow triangle continues to plague me!

Various trawlings of google have failed me and I now turn to the almighty collective power of [H].

Someone save my sanity, please

Many thanks

do you have anything special on your home firewall that may block pings? I think it uses ping to see if its up or not.

iirc, it actually hits a website that microsoft has up and returns an html doc that says nothing more than "Microsoft"

tbh, i'd just ignore it... people are all the time asking me about that, i just tell 'em to ignore it...

EDIT: what do you see when you click here -> http://www.msftncsi.com/ncsi.txt

also open up a command prompt and ping dns.msftncsi.com, if it doesn't resolve to 131.107.255.255 you got problems...

EDIT2: if you're OCD, you can disable in registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesNlaSvcParametersInternet
Under the Internet key, double-click EnableActiveProbing, and then in Value data, type: 0.The default for this value is 1. Setting the value to 0 prevents NCSI from connecting to a site on the Internet during checks for connectivity.

source: http://blog.superuser.com/2011/05/16/windows-7-network-awareness/

Last edited:
As far as I`m aware, no, never had an issue before installing my own OS.

any idea who/where it may ping?

gotta be MS or something surely!?

:D:D:D

I am OCD, but disabling it won`t ease my OCD, only fixing it will do that:):D

It used to work but now it don`t.

Some reading reveals that a system restore won`t fix it or even a full re-install in most cases.

Damn my OCD!!:eek:

I had router firmware that would induce what the OP describes. What happens when you plug said computer directly into your source of internet?

Edit:
Nevermind, re-read the OP and I suppose you've hooked up to multiple AP's with it.

Last edited:
It does happen every now and then on my machines as well. Usually DNS related, but it will not always clear up right away.

I have had machines literally be like that for days, then just all of a sudden it goes away.

Well I'm not, I like most other engineers are field (home) based and have never ever had it on the domain, nor do I ever intend to.

When I first received it all seemed well, right up until the first "your domain password will expire in 14 days email" I logged in on the Vpn and changed the password and it never synced with he laptop password so I had one password to login to the laptop and another to access my exchange email and it's been that way ever since, hence the 'vpn issue' in my first post.

Incidentally, since that first password change, the Vpn has never worked since.

Now when my password is due to expire, I login to webmail and change it there and just change my outlook credentials accordingly.

I know, for an it company, it is typical of the way things are done here in the uk.

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

Back