Win 7 Internet Explorer 8 Unstable

tickyour

n00b
Hello,

I've had Win 7 Pro x64 installed since about end of November. From the get go IE has been freezing up on me. Mostly during regular bowsing, such as opening up a new link, new tab suddenly it locks and freezes. When I try to close it I get:

- "Windows Internet Explorer is not responding". When I try to close it, then it goes to:

- "Windows is looking for a solution to the problem". No error messages, nothing, it restarts or closes and works fine until next crash.

Explorer ONLY crashes during browsing and Never while browsing My computer, viewing pictures, etc.

This has bocome realy annoying and a big negative to otherwise rock-stable and blazing fast system. Sometimes it crashes often, few times per hour, other times it goes fine almost all day, with no discernable pattern. No particular website causes more crashes than another!

I've tried to disable and re-enable IE in Win 7. Didn't help. Tried different settings, didn't help.

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
You seem to be confusing IE with Windows Explorer. Is it only IE that is giving you issues? Have you removed and updated all plug-ins, such as Flash, Shockwave, etc? Have you tried the portable version of Firefox as a test browsing to the same sites?

Thanks,

I will try reinstaling the plug-ins. Yes, other browsers such as Chrome seem 100% stable. But, i would preffer to work with IE.

This problem is common around me. Both my desktop in my sig, my old system, my laptop, and my mother's windows 7 machine do this exact same thing pretty regularly. I believe it is a problem w/ flash player, but completely wiping it and reinstalling it on my systems did not fix. Other browsers are 100% stable and never cause this problem. I have also thought that maybe was spybot's immunization feature along w/ flash, but I have had this problem on my laptop which does not have spybot installed. Each machine gets its flash install direct from adobe, so I'm not re-using a bad file. Running microsoft seurity essentials currently, but I have also had this problem w/ AVG installed instead.

My laptop is a fresh install, my old system is less than a month old install, my desktop since launch of Win7.

I'm pretty stumped myself, and believe this problem will not be fixed until adobe and IE get the bug worked out between them, or some program that is conflicting gets updated.

These reasons are exactly why I gave up on IE. It happened back when I was using IE7. I went to my favorite sites and apparently IE didn't like them so it decided to crash. Here's the best advice anyone can give you. Switch browsers! Go with Chrome or Firefox, you won't be sorry. Performance-wise, IE8 isn't complete crap anymore, but it's still galaxies behind other browsers.

Performance-wise, IE8 isn't complete crap anymore, but it's still galaxies behind other browsers.
Not if you stick to fact-based comparisons. Some people, like me, will be sticking with IE and only IE. I can't stand using Firefox, so it isn't an option for me. IE8 is there, works perfectly for me, including all of the sites where it is required, so why would I want to install extra software I don't need? Chances are, if you had an issue with IE7 or above...it was due to a corrupt or misconfigured plug-in. As bad as Flash is, it has always worked better for me under IE8. Knocking IE as a bad browser was cool and hip about 3 or 4 years ago...but times have changed.

Not if you stick to fact-based comparisons. Some people, like me, will be sticking with IE and only IE. I can't stand using Firefox, so it isn't an option for me. IE8 is there, works perfectly for me, including all of the sites where it is required, so why would I want to install extra software I don't need? Chances are, if you had an issue with IE7 or above...it was due to a corrupt or misconfigured plug-in. As bad as Flash is, it has always worked better for me under IE8. Knocking IE as a bad browser was cool and hip about 3 or 4 years ago...but times have changed.

It's still a bad browser. The only thing good about it is how fast it starts up, and some websites still use IE's unkosher HTML. It has no useful add-ons, like Ad-Block Plus and every feature it has been tacked on to "after the competitors did it", like tabs, quick links, etc.

I use it to remote into my office, which requires IE. That's about it.

I like ie8 but I have turned off accelerators, etc

I always install flash and java in new OS

Maybe your opening IE64? flash doesnt work in that, and it'll crash. I think it only works in x64 in a mozilla beta

It's still a bad browser.
I never have a single rendering issue at all, but when I try something like Firefox, I find myself refreshing pages to fix them.
It has no useful add-ons, like Ad-Block Plus
I've never had a need for any add-ons, as it just works for me as is. Besides, some sites *cough* like this one, won't allow ad-block anyway.
every feature it has been tacked on to "after the competitors did it", like tabs, quick links, etc.
So, does this somehow make it inferior? If you take a look at the auto industry, many companies add features and ideas after their competitors, and then expect you to believe their implementation is better. Why can't the same be true for browsers? fact is, IE8 does everything I need it to, and I don't have to install extra software. IE6 had security issues. IE7 made a step in the right direction to solving those and adding usability features, like Vista. Progress, but hardly perfect. IE8 is like Windows 7. It's one more giant step in the name of progress, and does exactly what it is supposed to do.
Maybe your opening IE64?
This is a very good point. The OP's symptoms sound just like someone using the x64 browser.

I never have a single rendering issue at all, but when I try something like Firefox, I find myself refreshing pages to fix them.
That is the primary reason for my IE prefference. The website rendering often just doesn't look "right" on other browsers.

This is a very good point. The OP's symptoms sound just like someone using the x64 browser.
No, not using x64 browser. As others have replied, I also suspect Flash to be the culprit for the instability, hopefully this will be adressed by Adobe and/or Microsoft.

I've never had a need for any add-ons, as it just works for me as is. Besides, some sites *cough* like this one, won't allow ad-block anyway.

So, does this somehow make it inferior? If you take a look at the auto industry, many companies add features and ideas after their competitors, and then expect you to believe their implementation is better. Why can't the same be true for browsers? fact is, IE8 does everything I need it to, and I don't have to install extra software. IE6 had security issues. IE7 made a step in the right direction to solving those and adding usability features, like Vista. Progress, but hardly perfect. IE8 is like Windows 7. It's one more giant step in the name of progress, and does exactly what it is supposed to do.

Well, your only reason for using IE seems to be page rendering, which as I have found, most sites no longer have that "Only IE works" problem any more. Gamespot for example used to horrible about this.

There haven't been any recent sites I can recall that required IE to properly render.

Otherwise, the other browsers are just... better. Firefox has versatility, Safari has the fastest page rendering speeds, Chrome has a great interface etc.

Keep in mind people that this post is not about debating which browser is better - the OP and myself are looking for an answer to this IE specific issue.

I am definitely not using the x64 IE.

There haven't been any recent sites I can recall that required IE to properly render.
Tried using any SharePoint sites with other browsers? How about Windows Update? I couldn't get Dell's service tag auto-detect utility to work on Firefox, but worked with IE8 without issue.
Otherwise, the other browsers are just... better.
That's just simply an opinion, and not one that I and many others share. Given that IE8 comes with Windows 7, there is absolutely no reason for me to install any other browser. They aren't just....better. They are just....different, and it is what you prefer. Trying to convince me, or anyone else that one browser is better than another is ridiculous...much like tyring to tell me vanilla or chocolate ice cream is better than another. Please don't become yet another person on here who tries to pass personal opinions off as fact.

Accelerators used to give me this problem a lot. I never really found them very useful. "Blog about this..." No thanks. Try turning them off.

Just want to let everyone know that I have seemed to solve my IE instability issues by turning off Skype Addon for IE.

I wanted to be sure its stable so I waited a whole week before posting and IE has been 100% stable in this time.

What are the benefits of using the 64 browser?
The benefits are, you won't have instability due to plug-ins, because none of them work will enough to be usable. At this point, there's no need/reason to use an x64 browser.

Back