Win 7 install fail

beklemmung

Weaksauce
I recently built a new rig and am giving my old one to a friend. I purchased a copy of Windows 7 Professional (full, not upgrade) and tried to install it today. Specs are: E4300, Gigabyte P35-DS3R rev 1.0, 4 gigs of G-skill DDR2, 8800 GT, WD Caviar 320gb HDD, OCZ-600SXS power supply. These are all the same components that have been running flawlessly under XP.

First I removed the HDD, connected it to my new computer and formatted it. I then put it back in the old rig, put the Win 7 disc in, and tried to install. The initial stage commences (the progress bar fills across the bottom of the screen), it then says "Starting Windows", and then... nothing. The same background stays on the monitor (blue sky with contrails) and I can move the mouse cursor, but it just stays that way indefinitely. The installation doesn't proceed.

I've tried every combination of BIOS settings I can think of for the past four hours and it always hangs up here. The HDD shows up fine in BIOS as Channel 1 Master. The DVD drive hasn't given me a single problem in 2+ years. I've tried different SATA cables, different power connections, different SATA slots on the mobo, set all options to "fail safe" in BIOS, nothing makes a difference.

Am I missing something incredibly obvious? I'm so confused and frustrated.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Now, yes. When I first tried, I left the OC up (just over 3 ghz), but I set everything back to stock speeds and it made no difference.

Honestly the same thing happened to me and I finally just let it run..it took FOREVER..and it finally just went to the next screen, really i thought nothing was happening and i stopped it twice, but it did really take a long time and finally worked.

OK, I'll try that when I get home tonight. I just remember when I installed Win 7 Home Premium on my new rig that there was no waiting at that point whatsoever, it just went right through. But I probably only waited about 45 seconds max with this Pro install... if you had to guess, how long did you wait?

Create a flash drive install, it seemed to speed up my install process immensely. Clean install of course.

Thanks guys, just read the sticky here and sounds straightforward enough. I'm going to try one more time from the DVD drive, but if waiting doesn't make a difference I'll try a flash install.

harsaphes, waiting worked. I sat there looking at the screen for a couple minutes, got up and left, came back 20 minutes later and it had proceeded. Guess I'm just too impatient.

Thanks all for the responses.

I don't know if this is an issue anymore, but I used to have looong "lag" issues when I dealt with a computer with no floppy drive installed. Disabling the floppy controller in the BIOS helps with that problem. This sounds almost exactly like the same case.

I'm 95% sure that I had the floppy controller disabled. I dunno, maybe Win 7 is just a tall order for an e4300. In any case, I made it, and I'm gonna have a very happy friend in a couple days.

45 seconds is way too short to wait. The Home Premium I just installed paused for a few minutes at that stage also. Depends on your system and drivers required. Go to the kitchen and get a snack and then come back.

Back