Win 7 crashing constantly....

i switched up to win7 about a month ago, at first i had a pre-release edition, and it crashed a lot, largely due to HDAV driver. then i switched to the retail version, which i thought would solve a lot of the crashing problems. asus updated their HDAV driver finally, and don't think i am getting any problems from that, but still crashing, like everyday almost, various errors come up, the last one i got was from tcpip.sys, not sure before that, but they're frequently different. my clock speed for processor has been the same for the past year and has been stable, i thought maybe the different OS would somehow relate differently with the mobo, and not like the settings i had, although thought it unlikely. nevertheless i tried dialing down speed, and it didn't seem to help. there's no specific thing that i can figure out that causes it to happen, except it seems to not like WMC running with utorrent. but yesterday i was just trying to transfer BD files from one drive to another and that caused it to crash, several times in a row. i'm not sure how to look at this problem at all, because i don't have a good idea of what is specifically causing crashes.

one thing i need to do is enable it to stay on BSOD when crashes occur, so i can get more data from it, right now it's just flashing by and i glance at the bottom to try and see what it says.

1) can't remember how i enable BSOD to stay on after crash, it must be in BIOS, but have to dig around, or if someone knows that'd be great help.

2) wtf- why do i keep getting all these crashes, on a machine that was, prior to 7, very stable, and where do i start to look for prob, or is #1 plus posting results best way?

thanks much,
rlr

did you install Win7 @ stock speeds? "dialed down"?...to stock speeds?

did you install Win7 @ stock speeds? "dialed down"?...to stock speeds?

"Theoretically if your overclock is fully stable this shouldn't cause a problem" is what I was told for suggesting installing @ overclocked speeds was bad. However, I installed Vista on an overclocked box. Explorer.exe kept dying. I did a new install with no overclock, then cranked it through the ceiling. Explorer.exe did not die.

Case and point: install on stock.

In any case, type systempropertiesadvanced in the Start menu, hit enter and under "Startup and Recovery" click settings. On that dialog box (toward the bottom) under System Failure uncheck Automatically Restart. Now you'll be able to see your blue screens.

Please post them when you get the chance (i.e. after you've changed this setting and get another one).

i am getting quite a few random tcpip.sys BSODs. not sure if it's from my shitty rosewill usb wlan nic feeding the upper layers of the stack bad info - but i am getting them a few times a week.

ill get a quick stutter of sound and the video will stutter as well - then BSOD for tcp.

As has been said, if your o/c is stable, then it will not cause any problems.

I used 7 build 7600 for a bit, now Im on 7 RTM, no issues on either, so it must definitely be something specific to your system. What is that HDAV driver for? Try removing/disabling whatever it is, and installing from scratch (perhaps to a diff/new partition if you dont want to wipe out your current one) and see if you still have problems?

I had no problems at all with Win 7 beta through RTM. Soon as I got my hands on my MSDN copy I installed it but instead of IDE, using AHCI. Within a week or two every time I tried to use my dvd combo drive, explorer.exe would crash. Once it crashed almost a dozen times in a row. Eventually my UI was so corrupted that when I clicked on tabs it didn't do anything, causing me to give multiple clicks to do one command. I reinstalled with IDE mode and it has been fine since.

"Theoretically if your overclock is fully stable this shouldn't cause a problem" is what I was told for suggesting installing @ overclocked speeds was bad. However, I installed Vista on an overclocked box. Explorer.exe kept dying. I did a new install with no overclock, then cranked it through the ceiling. Explorer.exe did not die.

In any case, type systempropertiesadvanced in the Start menu, hit enter and under "Startup and Recovery" click settings. On that dialog box (toward the bottom) under System Failure uncheck Automatically Restart. Now you'll be able to see your blue screens.

Please post them when you get the chance (i.e. after you've changed this setting and get another one).

yeah, i actually went all out and disconnected everything, lowered clock speed, and took one memory stick out. this install has been better so far, than last, and i actually thought it wasn't a final release what i had before, but this is the same number. my oc had been stable on vista for 8 mos at least, with the very occasional crash from utorrent. idk if the os makes a difference in what you can achieve for oc speeds.

I've got one screen shot so far, i'll wait 'till i get a cpl more then post, (or hopefully not, lol)

thx,
rlr

As has been said, if your o/c is stable, then it will not cause any problems.

I used 7 build 7600 for a bit, now Im on 7 RTM, no issues on either, so it must definitely be something specific to your system. What is that HDAV driver for? Try removing/disabling whatever it is, and installing from scratch (perhaps to a diff/new partition if you dont want to wipe out your current one) and see if you still have problems?

they still haven't released a final driver for it, for 7, still in beta, and the driver i had before was even worse, now i just get random errors. it crashed so much though that it started to get buggy so just did reinstall, using slightly different vlite version, which i made, this one's gone down a couple times already, but overall seems more solid, still keeping my clock speed down a little to rule that out.

thx,
rlr

one thing i need to do is enable it to stay on BSOD when crashes occur, so i can get more data from it, right now it's just flashing by and i glance at the bottom to try and see what it says.

1) can't remember how i enable BSOD to stay on after crash, it must be in BIOS, but have to dig around, or if someone knows that'd be great help.

2) wtf- why do i keep getting all these crashes, on a machine that was, prior to 7, very stable, and where do i start to look for prob, or is #1 plus posting results best way?

thanks much,
rlr
Two things:
1) BSODs appear in event viewer
2) win+r > control sysdm.cpl,,3 > OK > Startup and Recovery Settings > uncheck "Automatically restart" > OK > OK

yeah, i actually went all out and disconnected everything, lowered clock speed, and took one memory stick out. this install has been better so far, than last, and i actually thought it wasn't a final release what i had before, but this is the same number. my oc had been stable on vista for 8 mos at least, with the very occasional crash from utorrent. idk if the os makes a difference in what you can achieve for oc speeds.

I've got one screen shot so far, i'll wait 'till i get a cpl more then post, (or hopefully not, lol)

thx,
rlr

How do you "crash" from utorrent? Is it a hard-lock BSOD? I ask b/c uTorrent is not what I would consider a high CPU/GPU load activity.

Well after reading this I am getting kinda sketched out and buying Win7 to install on my system. I am running the RC and have had zero problems with my system (I7 920 OC'd to 3.8 GHz) so that would lead me to believe there would be absolutely no problems with installing the full version but kinda scared now. It is Win7 or nothing for me though since I don't have a vista license or xp license so hopefully everything goes smooth....

Well after reading this I am getting kinda sketched out and buying Win7 to install on my system. I am running the RC and have had zero problems with my system (I7 920 OC'd to 3.8 GHz) so that would lead me to believe there would be absolutely no problems with installing the full version but kinda scared now. It is Win7 or nothing for me though since I don't have a vista license or xp license so hopefully everything goes smooth....

Shouldn't be a problem, go for it.

I was having issues with my windows 7 doing something close to this, but figured it was due to my video card. I kept swapping out parts and looked all over for answers to no avail. Just a few tidbits of advice you might try.

1. search for a program that will check to see if you have the latest drivers. ( I did this and found a few that were outdated...they were latest from motherboard manufacturer, but there were newer available directly from the (in my case) nic card and sound card manufacturer.

2. This is what I think actually made my pc stable finally - remove the motherboard battery to reset to defaults, and see if you're stable. Then proceed to OC back to where you were. I had tried using default settings in the bios option, but that didn't work. Actually pulling the battery for 10 seconds seemed to do the trick. I just did this last night and so far I seem stable...the only other thing I did was to manually set my RAM timings to their specification.

I hope this helps, if not good luck!

Cheers!

Hmmm. I wonder if this is my issue.
My overclock is stable and I'm not getting anything like BSODs, but I get
"Windows explorer has stopped working" pretty often.
I might do a reinstall on stock speeds.

I think I solved the problem. After my last post it just started crashing left and right, so looked into it more. I was using vlited disc for install, and i kept redoing the iso, removing less and less, but after doing some reading on vlite forum discovered that you can't use unattended install file with win7, as it is different than in Vista. so re-did iso, with fairly minimal removal still, only standard "safe" items removed, and skipped the unattended install page. It's been running now for 36 hours with no crashes, I believe that was the major issue, everything seems to be running smooth now. Def love win7.

Thanks for everyone's comments,
rlr

I had BSOD's on my main rig due to graphics driver a couple of months ago and haven't had any since.
I've installed Win 7 Pro and Ultimate on 8 different machines ranging from my Mini 9 netbook to a couple of P4 3.0ghz, a couple of Core2Duos, an Amd Phenom Quad, and my HTPC and Quad Core main rig. Only ussue was the random BSOD on my main rig and all the others installed and run perfect.

Then your overclock was not stable in the first place. Other disk and memory heavy operations like creating large archives, installing new software etc. might also have caused corruption. Probably either the RAM or the south bridge (or equivalent) can not handle the speed.

I'm having similar problems after installing Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

After a completely clean install, I am getting "Windows explorer has stopped reponding" messages. I've checked the event log and it reports a crash in explorer.exe and references nt.dll. I did second clean install and can still reproduce this issue. It seems like i'm seeing most of these when I right click on the desktop. I don't have any context menus installed. Vista Pro 64-bit was running flawlessly before I installed Windows 7.

I'm running memtest today to eliminate the ram, but after that i'm not sure what I should look at next.

(This was copied from the web, but it looks exactly like this)
Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 6.1.7600.16404, time stamp: 0x4a765771
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5be02b
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000c6cd2
Faulting process id: 0xe04
Faulting application start time: 0x01ca57ca28852850
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 5f7737c0-c3bf-11de-8ab6-001e900aaf4a

My system is as follows:
Intel Core 2 Duo e7200 2.53
4GB Crucial DDR2-800
Western Digital 160GB 7200 SATA drive
eVga 9600GSO
MSI P45 Neo2-FR Motherboard

Last edited:
Probably a 3rd-party app (GPU drivers) hooking into the context menu.

I disabled the nvidia context menu. After doing some googling, it looks like people are reporting this with Firefox 3.5 32-bit. I definitly had FF Installed and running at the time. I'm going to do a clean install and use IE for a few days to see if the crash comes back.

i havent had any BSOD's myself, but on a work system i just had one after opening IE i think it was and then outlook 2007, just straight BSOD!

Update: After performing another clean install I did not install Firefox 3.5, instead installing Chrome 2. So far no explorer crashes, and Chrome is growing on me.

After a completely clean install, I am getting "Windows explorer has stopped reponding" messages. I've checked the event log and it reports a crash in explorer.exe and references nt.dll. I did second clean install and can still reproduce this issue. It seems like i'm seeing most of these when I right click on the desktop. I don't have any context menus installed. Vista Pro 64-bit was running flawlessly before I installed Windows 7.

I'm running memtest today to eliminate the ram, but after that i'm not sure what I should look at next.

Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 6.1.7600.16404, time stamp: 0x4a765771
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5be02b

My system is as follows:
Intel Core 2 Duo e7200 2.53
4GB Crucial DDR2-800
Western Digital 160GB 7200 SATA drive
eVga 9600GSO
MSI P45 Neo2-FR Motherboard

well, for me, the last install worked well for a day and a half or so, but I had other strange, not necessarily errors, but dysfunctions, like (and honestly idk if they were there to begin with) i lost all my thumbnails for vid/pic files, also when in WMC it wouldn't show the files in the libraries i added, it would show all the parent folders, like- tv show> season, but then would not show the files themselves. i thought it had something to do with the os itself, so snagged another supposed MSDN release issue, which immediately remedied those problems, but then again with the crashing. I started changing my bios settings, but that can be a can of worms really, starting from what i thought were stable settings, and then trying to readjust, it just started to get confusing. I think I need to do what above poster suggested, and basically start from scratch, bring everything down to stock (optimized) (dfi), reload 7, then push things back up, kinda don't want to deal right now, as i have other things to do, but seems like most logical step. like i just spent a half hour and several cmos resets just to get it to post. this board is quirky with overclocks though, like even after resetting cmos it'll hang on dfi flash screen. i checked led post error codes, and discovered that if i disconnected all usb, plus all hdd's (except c: of course) it snapped right into post which allowed me to get into bios, weird though, didn't load my gpu driver, or audio either (asus hdav, which showed up on many prior crashes. meanwhile all of a sudden i have 38 updates show up, so i'm installing those now, that could be helpful, but still want to start from ground up, hopefully i can maybe just drop things down so i don't have to do it now, i like to have some stress free time for that.

thanks for all the posts, i'll report back,
rlr

I disabled the nvidia context menu. After doing some googling, it looks like people are reporting this with Firefox 3.5 32-bit. I definitly had FF Installed and running at the time. I'm going to do a clean install and use IE for a few days to see if the crash comes back.
OK hold on, I joined this conversation late.

I'm having the same issue as you but I thought it was Downloadhelper (FF Plugin). It makes sense that I thought it was DLH, since it was FF, if it is in fact FF that is causing the explorer.exe crashes.

You say this is a confirmed FF issue with 3.5 on Win 7? I'm at 3.5.4 right now and haven't had issues since but I can't get a fix list for 3.5.4 that gives anything specific to Windows 7 issues.

Can you add anything to this?

Update: After performing another clean install I did not install Firefox 3.5, instead installing Chrome 2. So far no explorer crashes, and Chrome is growing on me.

Pretty funny...after numerous crashes i uninstalled Chrome and installed Firefox.

idk, i think at this point my mobo is frakked. after all the cmos resets i fired it up to find some of my core drivers still not loading, and now it won't read any of my hard drives except the one the os is on, which seems strange. i did yet another reinstall, with factory bios settings, and everything unplugged, but i then tried connecting a couple of them, one just came up as BzBzBzBz, and so on, the other didnt show up at all, it also took FOREVER to boot with them hooked up. i disconnected those two drives, hooked up a usb drive, it booted instantly and also picked the drive up. could i have torched my bios somehow, or is it the mobo? im going to try and flash bios now and see what happens. at first i thought my primary storage drive had been lost which i really hope is not the case, since i havent bothered to back it up in so long.

thx, rlr

a few more notes....
i flashed bios succesfully, but still have same results. by disconnecting everything but boot drive, pc starts up nice and fast, any other hdd's connected still will hang post/boot and occasionally start, but then are not visible. i took my primary storage drive and put it in an external usb enclosure, thankfully everything is still intact and completely functional via usb. what i don't get is that boot drive is on same controller as other drives, and although i haven't tried changing ports around, it seems highly unlikely that 5 out of 6 ports would spontaneously become unfunctional, while one works fine, the other controller on board has 2 ports connected to two opticals and they seem unaffected, aside from my bd drive which stopped working about a week ago, that's another story, have other post on that.

I guess i'm at a loss as to how to proceed from here. one thing i know is that i want to get my server back online, it's just too much to have 6 drives and two opticals inside case, and makes for slow startups, not to mention getting in the case to do anything is a hassle. but still it should function.

anyone know why only 1 out of the 6 ports on primary controller would work, and i suspect it's not the port itself, nor the other drives, as the one i did pull off worked fine. don't think it's a power issue, i mean it could be i guess, but the lead that powers boot drive was powering 2 other drives, so at least i don't think it's that lead, that's pinched or something. think i'm going to have to break down whole case, and put things back one at a time, i'm also going to take out one of the drive cages, can't deal, have to get server or some other storage solution in place, there's currently 4.3TB inside case! probably mobo is frakked as i suspected, may have to get some kind of temporary board, so i can at least have a few drives in there working, don't have cash right now for what i would want, kinda want to move to i7, but that would involve other costs as well for memory and such, and my c2d e8400, with the exclusion of recent hassles is still great for me at 4GHz, and is a good performer with ram at 1069. I would prob just get an earlier ddr2 board, tried a asus p5 b4, it was ok, if anyone has suggestions on less expensive board than what i'm running now, i'd appreciate it, could prob still get same overclock anyway. this dfi like i mentioned has always been quirky and does not recover well at all from failed overclocks. i actually tried to return it once because of the difficulties i was having with it, but they sent it back to me, saying it needed bios update, but guess what i had already updated it to same version before i sent it to them, so i'm dissatisfied in general with them, not to mention the hoops they make you jump through just to get an rma, but not here to bash dfi, just to get pc running.

any suggestions welcome,
thanks a lot,
rlr

You certain it's not a power issue?

No, but even when I only connect one additional drive, it still doesn't see it, except in the case of the one drive that shows up as BzBzBz, etc., and for some reason OS drive is unaffected, it's very strange, maybe bcz it has the boot mgr file in it, it's easier to pick up, idk, def seems like a mobo/sata controller issue to me, but wanted to check here first to see if anyone else knew different before I go getting another board. This board has never been quite right, as i mentioned earlier, so it wouldn't surprise me. I need to find out what the warranty is, can't remember, I bought it last July, so it's 1yr & almost 4months old, not very old.

thx,
rlr

Back