Win 7 broken start menu

xxEIEIOxx

2[H]4U
On my start menu (Windows 7 x64) the items on the right side that popup a menu no longer work. The document folder, downloads, etc. Even the little arrow on the shut down menu no longer opens anything. I am assuming a dll needs reregisted or a registry entry need fixed. I tried sfc /scannow but it finds no problems. System Restore has no restore point previous to this problem. Googling produces a couple of people with the same problem but no fix. I really hate to have to reformat for this.Unfortunately me backup is old enough it's not worth doing. Anyone have any suggestions?

System Restore is on but as stated previously there are no restore points from before this problem occurred. I rolled back to the oldest one yesterday.

Duh, sorry for the lack of reading comprehension. Did you try to remove and re-add the right-side menu items in the Start Menu properties?

Yes, did that. No luck. Enabled the Administrator account and logged onto that as well. It is broken for all user profiles. It recognizes the mouse over because the icon at the top of the start menu changes but the menu that should be popping up on the right never comes up.

Right click the start menu, select "properties". Then on the window that pops up click "customize" then whatever options are set to "display as a link", change it to "display as a menu" for each one you want changed. Click "ok" and then click "apply" on the next window then "ok" one more time and then your problem should be solved :)

Nope. Display as link works fine but is not what I wanted. Display as menu was horribly broken and would do absolutely nothing when set to that. I finally gave up after 3 more hours of messing with it last night and just did a repair install of windows. There are still some things I will have to fix as a result but the start menu is working again. Thanks to everyone that replied.

Back