Win 2012, Hyper-V, VM resolution question

Kingpin

Gawd
So I built a system using the following barebones pc with 16 gigs of ram and an i7 3370S. I put on Win 2012 server and setup Hyper-V with 3 VMs running on 4 gigs of ram each. Each VM resolution can only go up to 1600x1200 but the host machine can go up to 1920x1440. Is there a way to up the res of the VMs to go higher? If not why is it limited to the 1600x1200?

Thanks

Did you install the HyperV guest services or additions or whatever they are called on the VMs? Basically like VMware tools.

@OP, Hyper-V uses a virtual video card which has an 8MB limit last I checked. They might have upped it in Server 2012 but not sure. You can check yourself in the device manager.
Anyway, I believe this is the reason for your resolution limit.

If you want, you can buy a supported graphics card and give the Win 7 VM's access to it through RemoteFX and then you can run full HD videos inside the VM's. It's pretty cool.

and you can't RDP to them?

I meant to get back to you on this and just forgot. I have this system setup at an office that wont let outside connections in without a vpn (of their own), which they want to charge us $100 a month. At 12 systems currently and might add another 10 or more. So at $1k plus a month, just decided to go with the free logmein accounts setup for each desktop. The free logmeins work perfect for our needs.

$100 a month per login for VPN? You could buy an ASA and setup your own VPN for less than the cost of 1 month.

Back